Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just installed Mandrake last night, and have spent most of today figuring out the ropes. I have already managed to figure some stuff out, but also managed to screw ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

XMMS crashes when attempting to play mp3

I just installed Mandrake last night, and have spent most of today figuring out the ropes. I have already managed to figure some stuff out, but also managed to screw some stuff up.

I really want to get xmms working. I installed it from the mandrake cd, and it works fine under root, but when I try to use it as a normal user (I am using KDE by the way), it loads, but when I click play, the program just freezes and I have to kill it manually.

Also, now when I boot up, it boots to the console rather than going straight to kde. I don't mind this, but when I logout, it goes back to the terminal, and I do not know how to shut down from the terminal.

First off, can you start xmms from a shell (konsole) and see if it gives you any error messages?

Secondly, you can shutdown from the command line as root with the following commands:

Code:
    shutdown -r now
    or

Code:
    shutdown -h now
    The first reboots and the second halts. You can also specify a time other than 'now'.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    Hmm, I open it from console and it works perfectly fine. That is quite odd.

It still crashes when I open it outside of a console window.

Just Joined!
    It was doing the same for me. ksysguard showed that KDE was running xmms via the "soundwrapper" script under artsdsp. When run directly it didn't crash. Try typing /usr/bin/xmss (wherever) directly into the KDE run command box and see what happens.

Just Joined!
    I also removed 'soundwrapper' from the command of the menu entry and the crashing problem stopped. (Originally, in the command of the menu entry, it says 'soundwrapper xmms'.)

However, after that, every now and then, I got an error my soundcard being already used by some other application. So I needed to press ok for the error and play in Xmms.

Annoying.

/kortty

Just Joined!

Re: XMMS crashes when attempting to play mp3

Quote Originally Posted by sammybk

I really want to get xmms working. I installed it from the mandrake cd, and it works fine under root, but when I try to use it as a normal user (I am using KDE by the way), it loads, but when I click play, the program just freezes and I have to kill it manually.
    I posted this same info to the Newbie forum but also applies here. I had the same problem and came accross an article that mentioned in passing that XMMS is designed for GNOME, not KDE. I tried using AUDIOLOGY to play the files ripped and converted by GRIP and it worked fine where XMMS did nothing.

I'm not sure it is a result of my particular install, MDK 10.0 or some other conflict.

I sure would be interested in finding out though.

BTW- Is there an easy way to switch back and forth from KDE to GNOME? and back?
    Thx

Linux Guru
    I think (but not 100% sure) that the default behavior in MDK is to not have users be a member of the shutdown group.

This means you either have to give users persmission to use the shutdown command or use the halt command instead.

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude