Find the answer to your Linux question:
Well, as you can see I'm the new here like alot of people where and still are. My HDD got corrupted and I coul not rescue a a single file ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Got Mandriva linux two days ago...

Well, as you can see I'm the new here like alot of people where and still are. My HDD got corrupted and I coul not rescue a a single file so what I did was to reformat my HDD and intall Mandriva linux with the KDE desktop, wich I really like by the way.

When I first put my hands on this new operating system I was really happy since I wanted to learn Linux from a while back, but I got frustrated when i noiced my dependancy towards Microsoft. I know there are alot of good programs But I do not know where to look for them.Since I'm a new guy I would like to get some advice from the experienced users wich do not need Microsoft alot just like me.

I would like you to recomend me a program for instant messeging that supports my hotmail account, since I don't quiet figure out this Kopete messenger. I tried to install the Kmess but a dialog box keeps popping up saying:
    "The autopackage support code could not be installed. It can be manually downloaded and installed by running the installation script located in the downloaded archive."
    I guess that's something that I understand but I do not know what to do, please help me.

I have another problem, I can't watch my DVDs, I can here the sound but the not the image, it just keep the sam black screen. I've tried Kmplayer, Kplayer, Mplayer and VLC media player and none of them can play my DVDs wich my Windows Media Player could play (they are not .wmv format)

If you could tell me how to install Ares and LimeWire, too, I would apreciate it alot, too.

Well, hope you can help me with all these problems. I wish you a good day.

I have another problem, I can't watch my DVDs, I can here the sound but the not the image, it just keep the sam black screen. I've tried Kmplayer, Kplayer, Mplayer and VLC media player and none of them can play my DVDs wich my Windows Media Player could play (they are not .wmv format)
    I can help with this part. You need a program called libdvdcss. Go here: Easy Urpmi Add the PLF Medias (Penguin Liberation Front). These contain a number of programs that Mandriva can't ship with for one reason or another. You should then be able to find libdvdcss using your package manager. (I think Mandriva defaults to only showing packages that have a graphical interface? When you click on Add/Remove Software, if I recall there is an area up top you can change to show all available software.) Obligatory warning that libdvdcss may not be legal in your area, etc etc.

A good place to start is here and here. Those are lists of Linux applications.
    Once you find something you like, click the Menu button>Install and Remove Software. (after you installed the PLF packages). Then, make sure the two pull-down menus at the top both say All. Then, type the search term that you want and hit enter.
    Tick the check boxes that you want to install, and click the Apply button.
    Good luck!
    Cogito ergo surf - I think therefore I network.

Registered Linux user #481826 Get counted!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close