Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have Ubuntu 8.10 installed on a spare 74 gb HDD, I have about 40gb left, give or take a few. I want to install Mandriva One 2009, why? because ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Dual Boot

I have Ubuntu 8.10 installed on a spare 74 gb HDD, I have about 40gb left, give or take a few. I want to install Mandriva One 2009, why? because I'm fairly new to Linux and I'm experimenting with different distros to find one or two I really like. My question is if I install Mandriva will it detect Ubuntu and give me a choice of ditros booting up? I tried this with Kubuntu and Fedora but that didn't work, don't know why. Just got Ubuntu where I like it and don't want to wreck it by installing Mandriva and screwing it all up, appreciate any help, thanx!

Mandriva will definitely detect Ubuntu. Make sure to create an ext3 partition for Mandriva before starting installation. 10-15GB is enough.
    There is no need to create new SWAP partition because you can share SWAP partitions in multiple distros. Installer will detect existing SWAP partition and use it itself.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Quote Originally Posted by devils casper View Post
    Mandriva will definitely detect Ubuntu. Make sure to create an ext3 partition for Mandriva before starting installation. 10-15GB is enough.
    There is no need to create new SWAP partition because you can share SWAP partitions in multiple distros. Installer will detect existing SWAP partition and use it itself.
    That was quick Thanx DC

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Mandriva Blows!!!

I'll stick with Ubuntu

Mandriva will work correctly with Spring releases. Ones are just previews. I think you should:
    1. Wait until 2009.1 Spring release, in April
    2. Install 2008.1 version.
    Believe me its FAR better than anything. I'm writing it from Debian Lenny, I'm testing it. And Mandriva 2008.1 is still years ahead! If you really want to have a good, stable, easy to handle Linux, stick with Mandriva.
    If you need a CD/DVD catalogizer, give a try to my program:
    http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show...content=100682
    Linux Usert#430188

Quote Originally Posted by minthaka View Post
    Mandriva will work correctly with Spring releases. Ones are just previews. I think you should:
    1. Wait until 2009.1 Spring release, in April
    2. Install 2008.1 version.
    Believe me its FAR better than anything. I'm writing it from Debian Lenny, I'm testing it. And Mandriva 2008.1 is still years ahead! If you really want to have a good, stable, easy to handle Linux, stick with Mandriva.
    I'll wait until Apr. to check out 2009.1 Spring release, thanx! I just didn't like the way the version of Mandriva I have (Mandriva Linux One 2009) looked on my pc, it looked awful and there was nothing I did that corrected it, Ubuntu looks and works frickin awesome, though I still have lots to learn about Linux.