Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I am running Mandriva 2008.1 KDE 3.5 I have a little problem. See, my computer won't read some discs. It doesn't matter if they are DVDs or CDs, they just ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Cannot read discs

I am running Mandriva 2008.1 KDE 3.5
    I have a little problem. See, my computer won't read some discs.
    It doesn't matter if they are DVDs or CDs, they just won't read.
    I mean, I put them in the drive, the drive spins up and everything, but Mandriva just doesn't mount it. Nowhere can I find that disc.
    I put a disc in 5 minutes ago, and now I can hear it, trying to read it. These are discs that previously worked, back when my computer was running Windows, so I know that this isn't a hardware issue. Mandriva just doesn't read them.
    What gives?
    Cogito ergo surf - I think therefore I network.

Registered Linux user #481826 Get counted!

Hi - if you open a terminal and type 'mount' what's your output? Here's mine for example:
    Code:
    fingal@pickle> mount
    /dev/hda1 on / type ext3 (rw)
    none on /proc type proc (rw)
    /dev/hda6 on /home type ext3 (rw)
    none on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw)
    I suspect Mandriva is mounting your disks, but if you don't have certain codecs installed you might not be able to play anything.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Here is my output:
    Code:
    /dev/sda1 on / type ext3 (rw,noatime,commit=0)
    none on /proc type proc (rw)
    /dev/sda6 on /home type ext3 (rw,noatime,commit=0)
    none on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw)
    none on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)
    //UBOX/mydocuments on /home/mord/smb4k/UBOX/mydocuments type cifs (rw,mand,nosuid,nodev,user=mord)
    UBOX is a networked computer, I used SMB4K to mount it.
    I suspect that Mandriva is not mounting the discs, because I hear the drive. It is making little noises, I can't exactly explain it.
    Let me see.... a disc drive has 2 movable components: the part that spins the disc, and the part that moves back and forth with the laser LED on it.
    When that part moves, it makes a distinctive sliding noise. THAT is what I am hearing. That part moving back and forth a couple of times, the spinning thing for a second, and then again.

Hmm - your drives are mounted all right. I see you're using SCSI drives... I don't know much about those but I think you need a driver which might not be loaded. If your kernel is looking for the correct drivers then your disks will spin, but not much is going to happen!
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Ok.
    What are SCSI drives?
    And where/how do I get drivers for them?

Quote Originally Posted by Max2009 View Post
    Ok.
    What are SCSI drives?
    And where/how do I get drivers for them?
    Actually your output from mount doesn't list any CD/DVD drives at all... What you have listed there are hard drives (this seems to be normal for Mandriva, so don't panic).

Actually what I said was slightly misleading, as your hard drives are likely to be SATA.

You mentioned that you can't read some disks, but can you play any CDs? You don't need to mount them manually, and although the Linux kernel knows about your devices it handles then discreetly.

DVDs are a different case, and to play those you need separate drivers to read the disks.

Sorry about the short reply.

I can read DVDs, I have libdvd something or other. I have been able to read a store bought DVD.
    But a disc that I burned (backup files and such) won't show.
    Might it be because those discs were burned using Nero on Windows?

I can read DVDs, I have libdvd something or other. I have been able to read a store bought DVD.
    But a disc that I burned (backup files and such) won't show.
    Might it be because those discs were burned using Nero on Windows?
    Maybe if the disc hasn't been finalized (closed) but other than that, as long as it's a good burn it shouldn't matter what you burned it with. Could be a defective/decaying disk.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Actually, it's a pretty random event.
    Some discs will read, while many others will (consistently) not.
    I find it very hard to believe that two thirds (up to a certain constant) of my discs are defective or decaying.

Actually, it's a pretty random event.
    Some discs will read, while many others will (consistently) not.
    I find it very hard to believe that two thirds (up to a certain constant) of my discs are defective or decaying.
    I doubt that's the case. Do you get any error messages about UDF support or anything like that when trying to browse these discs? Are these mostly homemade cd's? I'm thinking maybe Nero might have burned them in a format that you don't have support for, yet. The discs that won't read, are the all the same brand, burned by Nero, or possibly un-finalized discs?
    Whatever the case, if you can read these CD's in Windows then I would suggest that you back-up these files if you need them.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast