Find the answer to your Linux question:
I recently decided to try a Linux distribution. I tried Linspire, formally Lindows, for a while, but hated how I couldn't get any software for it unless I paid them ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mandrake 9.0 Doesn't See Mouse

I recently decided to try a Linux distribution. I tried Linspire, formally Lindows, for a while, but hated how I couldn't get any software for it unless I paid them a subscription. So, I decided to try a more mainstream Linux distribution.

My problem is that I have installed, and it seems to work fine. The issue is that my mouse doesn't seem to be supported. It didn't see my mouse during the install and doesn't see it now that I am trying to use Mandrake.

I bought a wireless, optical keyboard and mouse combo from Microsoft. The items are, of course, wireless. I had been using the USB connector instead of the optional PS/2 connectors. I've run the Harddrake utility and it doesn't seem to detect my mouse. I've tried many different configurations, but none of them make any difference.

I would really like to use Mandrakelinux, but I would really hate to be without a mouse. I don't know near the amount of keyboard shortcuts for Linux as I do with Windows, and I don't want to switch back if I don't have to.

Just Joined!
    Hi,
    For USB, did you check in the BIOS settings that the USB Kb&Mouse legacy support is enabled ?
    If your device has PS/2 support have you try it ?

Just Joined!
    In my BIOS settings, I do have USB Keyboard Support and USB Mouse Support set to "enabled". There doesn't appear to be a legacy support option anywhere.

I have, currently, switched my keyboard and mouse setup to the PS/2 adapters instead of the USB. The keyboard continues to work, but there is no change with the mouse.

Linux Guru
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Just Joined!
    Boy, jeremy, that is kinda depressing.

I guess I'll have to figure out a solution. Thank you guys for your help and responses.

Linux Guru
    A google of 'microsoft wireless keyboard mouse linux' turns up about 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 results.

So keep yer chin up, buckaroo! Someone's got it out there!

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Linux Guru
    Check to make sure your mouse is correctly configured in XF86Config (or is it XF86Org for your distro?). I'm refering to the file which dictates how the X windows interface is set-up which includes monitor, keyboard and mouse. In that file is a "Section InputDevice" which has a few lines specifying the mouse driver, port and sometimes a few other particulars. If the port the mouse uses is supported, the config file is the next place to look.

Also, this may be deprecated information, but for some systems, it's necessary to disable plug-and-play (or PnP) in the system BIOS to allow Linux to see all connected devices.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better