Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Here is how to use avidemux to convert video for an ipod: Encode Video for the iPod Touch or iPhone | Tombuntu...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Here is how to use avidemux to convert video for an ipod: Encode Video for the iPod Touch or iPhone | Tombuntu

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by tux99 View Post
    That's weird, normally if you do:

urpmi handbrake-svn2096-mdv2008.1-i586.rpm

From command line as root, it should install all dependencies automatically.
    Maybe you tried to install it directly from the browser without saving it to disk first?
    Anyway, you need to install the following package for that dependency:

libgio2.0_0-2.16.2-1.1mdv2008.1

just do:

urpmi libgio2.0_0-2.16.2-1.1mdv2008.1

on a console as root, this will download and install it automatically, as long as you have the repositories set up correctly (which is normally by default).

BTW: there is a newer version available now: handbrake-svn2284-1mdv2008.1.i586.rpm

I recommend you to persist and try handbrake, once you have it installed and running you will realise why it is the most popular transcoding application, it's very flexible and powerful, but at the same time easy to understand and use with very sensible default settings!

EDIT: the above install instructions for libgio are for mdv2008.1, in case you are using a different version of Mandriva just run:

urpmq -a libgio

This should find the name of the package in your version, then just install it with 'urpmi'.
    I'm supposed to be trying to run this in Terminal? Here's what I get when I try.

$ urpmq -a libgio
    No package named libgio

Just Joined!

Wtf?!

Quote Originally Posted by reed9 View Post
    Here is how to use avidemux to convert video for an ipod: Encode Video for the iPod Touch or iPhone | Tombuntu
    So this one worked great until I tried to follow the link you supplied. After hitting PSP from the AUTO drop down menu it proceeds and then says "You don't have FAAC!.
    It is needed to create PSP compatible video"

If you haven't yet enabled the PLF repositories, go here Easy Urpmi and do so.

You can then install the faac package through your package manager.

Just Joined!

Unhappy I don't seem to have anything going right

If you haven't yet enabled the PLF repositories, go here Easy Urpmi and do so.

You can then install the faac package through your package manager.
    From the Easy URPMI site I hit ADD Official medias or ADD PLF medias and I get an error message stating "bad <url>(for local directory, the path must be absolute)" Thanks for you help so far though man I'd be lost otherwise.

What version of Mandriva are you using? If it's 2008 or older you need to switch to the old interface, since the mirrorlist feature wasn't added until 2008.1. If you're using the newer ones...I'm not sure what the problem is. Try the command line option and see what happens.

Code:
    su -
    urpmi.addmedia --distrib --mirrorlist '$MIRRORLIST'
    urpmi.addmedia --distrib --mirrorlist 'http://plf.zarb.org/mirrors/$RELEASE.$ARCH.list'
    I might get flamed for saying it, but this whole thread exemplifies a good portion of the reason I ditched Mandriva.

Just Joined!

Which?

What version of Mandriva are you using? If it's 2008 or older you need to switch to the old interface, since the mirrorlist feature wasn't added until 2008.1. If you're using the newer ones...I'm not sure what the problem is. Try the command line option and see what happens.

Code:
    su -
    urpmi.addmedia --distrib --mirrorlist '$MIRRORLIST'
    urpmi.addmedia --distrib --mirrorlist 'http://plf.zarb.org/mirrors/$RELEASE.$ARCH.list'
    I might get flamed for saying it, but this whole thread exemplifies a good portion of the reason I ditched Mandriva.
    Well what did you switch to?

Initially I tried a bunch of others, but ultimately I settled down with Arch Linux. If I didn't use Arch, I would use a Debian based distro. The rpm distros just never clicked with me. I can't say what exactly it is about Fedora, Mandriva, and OpenSuse that rubs me the wrong way, but they do. Especially the package managers - I hate yum, urmpi, and zypper. I like apt in debian, and pacman in Arch makes me unreasonably happy.

Just Joined!
    Initially I tried a bunch of others, but ultimately I settled down with Arch Linux. If I didn't use Arch, I would use a Debian based distro. The rpm distros just never clicked with me. I can't say what exactly it is about Fedora, Mandriva, and OpenSuse that rubs me the wrong way, but they do. Especially the package managers - I hate yum, urmpi, and zypper. I like apt in debian, and pacman in Arch makes me unreasonably happy.
    As a newb to Linux what would you recommend to start with?

Ubuntu, Linux Mint, PCLinuxOS.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2