Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I really just need a program that will convert videos(numerous formats) to the .MP4 format. I can't find the answer online so I figure I'd ask my linux friends. Any ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

PSP/MP4 help!

I really just need a program that will convert videos(numerous formats) to the .MP4 format. I can't find the answer online so I figure I'd ask my linux friends. Any ideas?

Just Joined!

Handbrake.

Quote Originally Posted by reed9 View Post
    I checked in the Mandriva updates and Handbrake wasn't there. Therefore, when I try to download it from the link you gave it only downloads as an archive. If a program is incompatible with Mandriva it'll do that.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    The archive you're downloading is probably the source code. If Mandriva doesn't have it in their repos, you can either download and compile the source, or see if someone has created an unofficial rpm you could use. And, according to this thread MandrivaUsers.org > "Handbrake" DVD transcoder GUI someone has. Though it was compiled for Mandriva 2008.1, it should work: LinuxTECH.NET - Downloads - Handbrake svn rpm for Mandriva Linux 2008.1

Here is the Mandriva guide for compiling from source: Docs/Basic tasks/Installing and removing software/Installing from source - Mandriva Community Wiki

Just Joined!
    If I wasn't a total Linux newb I'd be all over what you just said. Give me a day and I'll get it figured out. One thing you might easily help me with is this tar business. In example "handbrake-src-svn2096.tar.gz" when running Mandriva on my old IDE drive(RIP) I was installing stuff through Terminal but for the life of me I can remember how. So an easy question, how do I use/install/manipulate/? a .tar file?

tar is just a file format. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tar_(file_format) tar.gz is a tar file that's been compressed with gzip. This is basically analogous with a zip file in windows. The source code of linux programs are for the most part distributed as compressed tar files for download.

rpm originally stood for Red Hat Package Manager. This is essentially source code compiled into a binary, ie, machine readable, package to install on your system. This system of package management has been adopted by a number of different distros, but an rpm for Fedora might not work on Mandriva, due to various differences in the distros. This is in some ways like an .exe file in Windows. It can get more confusing, though, for example you can have source code distributed as rpms as well. Red Hat Magazine | The story ofRPM

Source code is the human readable language in which programs are written. These need to be interpreted into a language the computer can read and run, ie, 1's and 0's. Provided you have the correct software, you can do this yourself. The benefit is that you can customize certain options in the program to your machine, you can get stuff as it's released rather than wait for your distro to package it for you. (Or sometimes not package it at all as with Mandriva and Handbrake.) Some distros, like Gentoo, focus on compiling everything from source, because of the control it gives and potential speed increase in having a program compiled to run specifically on your machine. They have specialized tools to make this easier to handle. The downside is that compiling can take a very long time for larger programs. A full Gentoo install can take days. Also, for most distros, programs installed through this process aren't tracked by the package manager, leading to potential conflicts or difficulty uninstalling. There are tools to help with this, though, such as a program called "checkinstall".

The general process for installing from source is pretty simple.
    Code:
    tar xjf tarballfilename.tar.gz
    ./configure    
    make
    sudo make install
    The first extracts the file.
    The second configures the program according to an included configure script. (Not always present.)
    The third compiles the program.
    The fourth installs it. The last step needs root priveleges.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Muertos View Post
    If I wasn't a total Linux newb I'd be all over what you just said. Give me a day and I'll get it figured out. One thing you might easily help me with is this tar business. In example "handbrake-src-svn2096.tar.gz" when running Mandriva on my old IDE drive(RIP) I was installing stuff through Terminal but for the life of me I can remember how. So an easy question, how do I use/install/manipulate/? a .tar file?
    LinuxTECH.NET - Downloads - Handbrake svn rpm for Mandriva Linux 2008.1

You should download the file that ends in 'rpm' from that website, slightly above the source code tarball.
    After that installing it is just a matter of running the urpmi command shown on that webpage, as root.

In some browsers instead of save-as you also get the option to install the package directly, but I would recommend to do save-as and then istall it from command line as described.

Just Joined!

Almost!

Quote Originally Posted by tux99 View Post
    LinuxTECH.NET - Downloads - Handbrake svn rpm for Mandriva Linux 2008.1

You should download the file that ends in 'rpm' from that website, slightly above the source code tarball.
    After that installing it is just a matter of running the urpmi command shown on that webpage, as root.

In some browsers instead of save-as you also get the option to install the package directly, but I would recommend to do save-as and then istall it from command line as described.

So it'll download as installable file and look like it's going to work but then it states "some requested packages cannot be installed: Handbrake-0.9.3+svn2096-1.i586 (due to unsatisfied libigo-2.0.so.0) Continue installation anyway?" Nothing happens. Looking up this libigo-2.0.so.0 now.

Hmm, it's missing a dependency. I can't right now, but I'll look later as well as see if I can find what provides that library. There are other solutions to handbrake as well, that might be easier to build or install.

mvPod Project - Trac

.:: thin liquid film - main page ::.

I assume you can do it with avidemux, which I'm almost certain is in the mandriva repos. It's a bit more complicated to use, though. Avidemux - Main Page

Just Joined!
    That's weird, normally if you do:

urpmi handbrake-svn2096-mdv2008.1-i586.rpm

From command line as root, it should install all dependencies automatically.
    Maybe you tried to install it directly from the browser without saving it to disk first?
    Anyway, you need to install the following package for that dependency:

libgio2.0_0-2.16.2-1.1mdv2008.1

just do:

urpmi libgio2.0_0-2.16.2-1.1mdv2008.1

on a console as root, this will download and install it automatically, as long as you have the repositories set up correctly (which is normally by default).

BTW: there is a newer version available now: handbrake-svn2284-1mdv2008.1.i586.rpm

I recommend you to persist and try handbrake, once you have it installed and running you will realise why it is the most popular transcoding application, it's very flexible and powerful, but at the same time easy to understand and use with very sensible default settings!

EDIT: the above install instructions for libgio are for mdv2008.1, in case you are using a different version of Mandriva just run:

urpmq -a libgio

This should find the name of the package in your version, then just install it with 'urpmi'.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast