Find the answer to your Linux question:
Maybe someone can help me? I have a laptop and last year I removed XP and installed Mandriva Linux. Now I am giving the laptop to someone else but thay ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Uninstalling Mandriva

Maybe someone can help me?

I have a laptop and last year I removed XP and installed Mandriva Linux.

Now I am giving the laptop to someone else but thay have to have windows on it. I still have the original XP OS disks but haven't a clue how to fully delete Linux and re-install Windows XP.

I can get the XP CD to run at startup. The disk starts running setup and at the bottom of the screen you can see it loading files/drives etc but after a while I get the following message:

"Windows XP Professional Setup
    ==============================

Setup did not find any hard drives installed in your computer.

Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer and that any disk-related hardware configuration is correct. This may involve running a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic or setup program.

Setup cannot contine. To quit setup press F3"

I guess because Linux is running on the hard drive it won't recognise it. I haven't got it "partitioned" if that's what you all it.

Someone mentioned to me about a download called GParted which would enable me to create a separate "partition". However, I've just been looking at the Gparted website and it's all way over my head I'm afraid. I mistakenly assumed that uninstalling Linux and reinstalling XP would be as simple as uninstalling XP to install Linux.

Why don't manufacturers provide a "wipe this machine completely button" lol?

Any advice would really be appreciated but please bear in mind that I am not a "techie" person.

Many thanks in advance

Hmm, I've never tried to install windows after installing linux, because, well, yuck, but I would have thought windows would be able to partition the drives...

I would assume it's because windows can't read linux partitions, so I would try to re-format the harddrive to NTFS, with is the windows partition format. I believe there are some pricey windows tools to do it, or you can use open source tools like gparted. Which isn't nearly as complicated as it looks. I suggest downloading Parted Magic, which is a specialized distro to handle partitioning tasks. Burn it to a CD, boot from that, and format over the harddrive.

If you look at the screenshots for gparted, it's fairly self explanatory, especially since you're looking to overwrite the whole drive. Delete all the partitions you have, select new partition, choose NTFS, and hit apply.

Looks like the Windows 7 RC has similar troubles.

Installing Windows 7 with some Linux help - Computerworld Blogs

Just Joined!
    that has nothing to do with linux installed on the HD, your windows CD cannot detect the HD, look for the "chipset" driver and save it to a cd when you insert the windows CD press F6 for additional drivers then install the chipset driver that'll detect your HD... Good Luck

MaRk-I