Find the answer to your Linux question:
Since I just upgraded to the newest Mandriva, 2009.1, I am wondering what the stability of KDE 4.2.2 is like. I am considering changing it to KDE 3.5 but am ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Stability of KDE 4.2.2

Since I just upgraded to the newest Mandriva, 2009.1, I am wondering what the stability of KDE 4.2.2 is like. I am considering changing it to KDE 3.5 but am wondering if it's time to make the move to KDE 4.2. Is it more stable and bug free now? So far I've had no problems with use.

Its quite stable but KDE eats the maximum memory in all desktop enviroments.
    Just go XFCE ..
    Never make any misteaks.

Read my Blog at --> Penguin Inside Subscribe Feed

KDE 4.2.2 is first really usable release of KDE4. There's still a few bugs, but overall it's not bad. I was using it for a while, and the main issue I had was frequent plasma crashes. I went to GNOME for now, and am waiting to see how the 4.3 releases shape up.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by markw10 View Post
    I am wondering what the stability of KDE 4.2.2 is like.
    KDE 4.2.3 is out now, so you might like it better if you don't find 4.2.2 stable enough to suit your needs:

K Desktop Environment - KDE 4.2.3 Release Announcement
    oz

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the replies. They were helpful. Another question I have is since I will be using this on netbooks (one Atom N270 based at 1.6GHz, the other Atom N280 Atom based at 1.66 GHz) will this present a problem? With KDE 4's improved graphics will it cause speed issues on a system such as this? Also, I don't know how much it relies on good graphics performance but it's going to be used on both an Acer Aspire One and ASUS eeePC 1000HE which have very basic graphics.

According to my experience.
    Yes it can have speed issues, I prefer XFCE for Laptops/Netbooks
    Fluxbox/IceWM are more lightweight but XFCE is completely balanced between usability and resource requirement.
    Never make any misteaks.

Read my Blog at --> Penguin Inside Subscribe Feed