Find the answer to your Linux question:
for the past couple of months i have been running Mandriva 2009 powerpack virtually using virtualbox under a windows vista host OS. Ive enjoyed it so much(it runs faster virtually ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

USB and network/internet problem

for the past couple of months i have been running Mandriva 2009 powerpack virtually using virtualbox under a windows vista host OS. Ive enjoyed it so much(it runs faster virtually with 2gb ram than windows does normally with 4gb ram) that a couple of days ago i decided to uninstall windows and install mandriva as my host OS. the install went fine however now i am unable to connect to the internet wirelessly(its a notebook) and when i try to transfer the driver files(windows version) and wine via a flash drive from another computer, it doesnt the new flash device has been plugged in. I am kind of new to linux so any help would be great!
    my specs are:
    -Hp pavilion dv7 1245-dx notebook
    -dual core 2.1ghz amdlon turion 64 processor
    -mandriva linux 2009 spring powerpack 64-bit
    -4gb ddr2 533mhz ram
    -ATI radeon 3200 HD Graphics card

btw it says there is a wireless driver installed but it still isnt working, also the flash drive is formatted FAT32
    thx in advance for any replies!

The first time I installed Mandriva I had trouble with the wireless too.
    What kind of wireless device do you use? If it is an Intel card, then you should go here to get the right one. But the best way to do it is to find out which driver you need, then to install it using the package installer, while connected via cable.
    Don't try to install the Windows driver, it won't work, even if you use NDIS wrapper.
    Also, Mandriva should have it's own WINE, and if it doesn't, you're better off getting one through the package installer.
    As for the USB problem, I don't really know. If you are using the KDE 4.2 desktop environment, there should be a widget that lets you know when new devices are plugged in. If it isn't there, right click anywhere on the desktop or the status bar, and add a new widget. You'll see the one you need from the list.
    If that doesn't help open a terminal and type:
    Code:
    $lsusb
    It should tell you what is connected to your USB ports. For example, this is my output:
    Code:
    Bus 002 Device 003: ID 1241:1603 Belkin 
    Bus 002 Device 002: ID 046d:c016 Logitech, Inc. M-UV69a/HP M-UV96 Optical Wheel Mouse
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0781:5406 SanDisk Corp. Cruzer Micro 1/2/4GB Flash Drive
    Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0424:2228 Standard Microsystems Corp. 9-in-2 Card Reader
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    I have a mouse, card reader and a SanDisc Cruzer plugged in.
    If you find the device that you plugged in, then you just need to mount it.
    Try this thread.

Oh yeah, good job making the leap from virtual Linux to real Linux. I used to run a virtual Linux on my Vista, and eventually just went for the real deal. I haven't regretted it for an instant, and I hope you don't either.
    Cogito ergo surf - I think therefore I network.

Registered Linux user #481826 Get counted!

We need some more info to help with the wireless card trouble. Go here and post the requested info.