Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
you mean my sda6 has been formatted automatically i think that is why it didnt get '/' label so i think only way is reinstalling mandriva isn't it? can i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

you mean my sda6 has been formatted automatically
    i think that is why it didnt get '/' label
    so i think only way is reinstalling mandriva isn't it?
    can i restore my software configs?

EDITED:

I mounted my sda6 drive & ls it i got following output
    Code:
    ls mnt
    Recycled lost+found
    i mounted then my sda5
    Code:
    ls mnt
    X11R6     boot/  games/    lib/    local/     sbin/      src/       bin/   etc/    include/  libexec/     lost+found     share/

Hi saurabh.nigam... just to be clear... When you reboot, without your live CD in the drive, does your grub menu load fine? Or does your PC just boot straight into windose? If it just boots straight into windose, then you've just wiped your MBR pointer to your GRUB boot partition. Reinstalling grub was to correct thing to do, as per your earlier posts... except the fancy auto detect script in the recover disk didn't work. Perhaps the manual version will.

As an aside, your Mandriva install appears to be fine and on sda5, not sda6. So, no it hasn't disappeared.

Okay... to get it all sorted, I can only suggest the manual route, which I make use of - coming from the pre-"recovery disk" days! LOL

1. To re-initialise dual-booting, make a GRUB bootdisk as specified
    in the info docs (use your live CD)... to quote:

File: grub.info, Node: Creating a GRUB boot floppy, Next: Installing GRUB natively, Up: Installation

3.1 Creating a GRUB boot floppy
    ===============================

To create a GRUB boot floppy, you need to take the files `stage1' and
    `stage2' from the image directory, and write them to the first and the
    second block of the floppy disk, respectively.

*Caution:* This procedure will destroy any data currently stored on
    the floppy.

On a UNIX-like operating system, that is done with the following
    commands:

# cd /usr/lib/grub/i386-pc
    # dd if=stage1 of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 count=1
    1+0 records in
    1+0 records out
    # dd if=stage2 of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 seek=1
    153+1 records in
    153+1 records out
    #

The device file name may be different. Consult the manual for your
    OS.
    If you don't have a stiffy drive, then you'll have to modify the above to suit either a live CD or else a live USB drive.

2. Also make a note of where your /boot partition is (in your case sda5). Then reboot and use the GRUB disk. Wait for the GRUB prompt to appear, then type:

> root (hd0,4) <enter>, for other people who may try this, substitute hd0,4 with the correct value for your /boot partition!!!
    For example, where /boot is /dev/sda2 <=> GRUB partition hd0,1
    i.e. GRUB starts from "0", not "a", for the hdd, and "0", not "1", for the partition number.

Then type:

> setup (hd0) <enter>, meaning "put GRUB pointer in the MBR of hd0 (i.e. hda)"

Reboot (having removed boot disk and live CD) and your grub menu should come up.
    Respectfully... Sarlac II
    ~~
    The moving clock K' appears to K to run slow by the factor (1-v^2/c^2)^(1/2).
    This is the phenomenon of time dilation.
    The faster you run, the younger you look, to everyone but yourself.

sarlaci can you be more clearer.
    I didnt got the steps

Hey there... sorry, been busy! The steps are quite easy, points 1. and then 2. However, that said, you didn't answer my questions re. booting to grub menu or not. :o)

well i m going to re-install mandriva coz i love it
    is there any way that i can store my softwares installed on my current (crashed)mandriva & can reuse them on my newly installed mandy
    coz i dont wanna lose all my updated softwares

Just Joined!
    You ran fsck on a mounted partition. This is BAD. My experience is that it would have corrupted the filesystem beyond repair. The partition you ran fsck on is likely to be your root partition. Whatever was in root partition is gone.
    Try mounting your partititons sda5, 6 & 8. See which one is empty or unmountable. That would be the broken one (Seems to be sda5).
    Figure out what the other 2 partitions are for. (sda6 looks like /usr) Mount & checkout what's in sda8.
    Reinstall Mandriva again using the existing partitions, format only the broken root partition. Relabel the mount point for sda6 & 8 This will at least get your system up again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2