Find the answer to your Linux question:
I recently installed Mandrake 10.1 but gtk wasnt installled. So I downloaded and tried to compile it. While compiling I got the following error checking for glib-2.0 >= 2.4.0 atk ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

GTK error

I recently installed Mandrake 10.1 but gtk wasnt installled. So I downloaded and tried to compile it. While compiling I got the following error

checking for glib-2.0 >= 2.4.0 atk >= 1.0.1 pango >= 1.4.0... Package atk was not found in the pkg-config search path.
    Perhaps you should add the directory containing `atk.pc'
    to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
    No package 'atk' found

Could someone tell me how to fix it.. I downloaded those 3 files and compiled all 3 without a problem and I still get the error when trying to compile gtk

GTK compile problems

I had a similar problem and sorted it out by adding the right path to the PATH environment variable. Like this PATH=/usr/local/bin Then you try to compile and it may work.

Now my problem is getting GTK to find the Glib libraries I compiled from source. If anyone has any ideas I might just keep my hair for a week longer :-/

Ta,

Fingal
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Linux Guru
    Is there any particular reason you don't want to install it from RPM?

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

No strong reason other than a theory that software is 'better' when compiled from source and the fact that I actively enjoy doing it that way
    I love the whole process...

I have an earlier version of Glib installed (which I didn't realise) and which GTK isn't happy about... I tried to track down the older files and blitz them (I'm very rash) but still get the same error message about earlier version, can't ./configure etc... I've done a lot of Google bashing, and tried a lot of different environment variable tweaking, but I've run out of ideas... partly based on a lack of knowledge about which files I should remove etc... I'm not a power user!

The whole thing is about my stubborn desire to have a nice gui for Ogle (which I also compiled from source: great fun!) So I wanted a challenge
    Any pointers appreciated.. I've read the GTK manual as well, but no wiser.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

I thought I'd close this thread myself (I highjacked it anyway!) Decided to just keep Ogle as an X application and forget about a GTK+ front-end for it. I had a hard time with Glib, but found out that uninstalling previous versions can be difficult (I found a posting on another forum about it... Felt relieved that it's not just me).

After severely stuffing my libraries and related dependencies (I had to reinstall XMMS and the Gimp) I decided to give up and get back to some guitar practice. End of story