Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
I recently upgraded my Mandriva installation to 2009.1 (actually performed a clean install after the upgrade failed) and have had lots of crashes ever since. Basically what happens is that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
  1. #1
    Just Joined! djap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Beijing
    Posts
    99

    Unhappy Lots of crashes since upgrading to Mandriva 2009.1


    I recently upgraded my Mandriva installation to 2009.1 (actually performed a clean install after the upgrade failed) and have had lots of crashes ever since.

    Basically what happens is that the computer kind of stops responding to anything. The mouse cursor still moves but that is all. I can't even drop to console since it doesn't respond to keyboard either. All I can do at this point is to push and keep the powerbutton down untill my computer switches off and then restart.

    This seems pretty random sometimes this happens when I try to close something, sometimes when I try to move or rename a file and sometimes this has happened while I have left some where and when I get back my computer is not responding to anything anymore.

    Is anyone else experiencing this kind of behaviour or does anyone have any idea how to get maybe litle more info about what is causing this?

    By "Lots" I mean this happens once or twice a day. I think if there won't be any update in a week that will fix this I will look some other distribution, really a shame since I have been more than satisfied with Mandriva so far

  2. #2
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    India
    Posts
    38

    the same with me

    hey this happened with me also... i thnk some problem with the version.... i had dropped it now & using ubuntu... but u can wait may be there's some bug & they'd fix it.......

  3. #3
    Linux Newbie Max2009's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    197
    I had this problem with 2009 the first version, and that's why I downgraded (clean install) to 2008.1
    But now I've upgraded (clean install) to 2009.1 and it does that for me in a specific case.
    When I plug my Sansa Clip in in MTP mode and then I try to eject it using the KDE widget, it freezes up like that. Other than that, no problems.
    I think therefore that thjis might be a hardware issue.
    Since for me 2008.1 was working perfectly, and when I installed 2009.1 it "stole" the drivers already on my system before formatting my hard drive. That's why I think it only happens with external hardware (and even then not all external hardware).
    Try seeing if you can find some updates for your hardware. I think somebody told me that in Linux they're called modules, not drivers.
    Anyway, that's all I could suggest, except maybe to wait longer. I do see that there are new updates out.
    BTW, did you update your kernel? I got a kernel update just the other day, and after that it didn't freeze with my Sansa...
    Cogito ergo surf - I think therefore I network.

    Registered Linux user #481826 Get counted!

  4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
  5. #4
    Just Joined! djap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Beijing
    Posts
    99
    Quote Originally Posted by Max2009 View Post
    I had this problem with 2009 the first version, and that's why I downgraded (clean install) to 2008.1
    But now I've upgraded (clean install) to 2009.1 and it does that for me in a specific case.
    When I plug my Sansa Clip in in MTP mode and then I try to eject it using the KDE widget, it freezes up like that. Other than that, no problems.
    I think therefore that thjis might be a hardware issue.
    Since for me 2008.1 was working perfectly, and when I installed 2009.1 it "stole" the drivers already on my system before formatting my hard drive. That's why I think it only happens with external hardware (and even then not all external hardware).
    Try seeing if you can find some updates for your hardware. I think somebody told me that in Linux they're called modules, not drivers.
    Anyway, that's all I could suggest, except maybe to wait longer. I do see that there are new updates out.
    BTW, did you update your kernel? I got a kernel update just the other day, and after that it didn't freeze with my Sansa...
    Actually I got an update for kernel litle after starting this thread but I have had lot of work to do outside today and haven't been on my computer allmost at all so I can't be realy sure if it has helped or not and I don't have too much time to test now since I will be travelling next week but I'll see after that and let you know if it has been fixed.

  6. #5
    Just Joined! djap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Beijing
    Posts
    99

    Unhappy

    Got back from my trip yesterday and received a bunch of updates regarding X, KDE4 configs and drivers. Today I had another freeze (mouse pointer still moves, amarok played the song it was playing at the time the system froze and then went silent and there was nothing I could do about it...) so it seems that this bug still remains

  7. #6
    Linux Newbie Max2009's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    197
    Hmm. I dunno. I solved my problem.
    It turns out it wasn't just the Sansa, but any device. Actually, it's like this.
    Once the information window (that pops up when you copy or move files) closes, claiming that the transfer is complete, that's not really true. The computer is still talking to the device. Then, if I try to eject it, the whole thing freezes up.
    But, if I wait for the device to signal (by not flashing or not saying "writing" or whatever) that it is no longer talking to the computer I can safely eject it, and it doesn't freeze.

    Is there any particular action you do that freezes it? Anything you can do to reproduce the crash?
    Cogito ergo surf - I think therefore I network.

    Registered Linux user #481826 Get counted!

  8. #7
    oz
    oz is offline
    forum.guy
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    arch linux
    Posts
    18,733
    Lots of crashes since upgrading to Mandriva 2009.1
    KDE 4.2.4 was just released today, so maybe that will fix it for you once the updates are available to you.
    oz

  9. #8
    Just Joined! djap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Beijing
    Posts
    99
    Quote Originally Posted by Max2009 View Post
    Hmm. I dunno. I solved my problem.
    It turns out it wasn't just the Sansa, but any device. Actually, it's like this.
    Once the information window (that pops up when you copy or move files) closes, claiming that the transfer is complete, that's not really true. The computer is still talking to the device. Then, if I try to eject it, the whole thing freezes up.
    But, if I wait for the device to signal (by not flashing or not saying "writing" or whatever) that it is no longer talking to the computer I can safely eject it, and it doesn't freeze.

    Is there any particular action you do that freezes it? Anything you can do to reproduce the crash?
    No there realy isn't anything to produce this. Sometimes it happens when I'm programming, sometimes when I try to switch between tabs in firefox, sometimes when I try to copy something, sometimes while I'm even not on the computer but there realy isn't anything in particular that causes the freeze every time.

    Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    KDE 4.2.4 was just released today, so maybe that will fix it for you once the updates are available to you.
    I think I'll still wait attleast till that. Maybe I'm just being lazy but I just got all I need set up in this and wouldn't wan't to go through the process again with some other distribution just yet.

  10. #9
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    42
    Your problem sounds exactly like what I had experienced.
    If you are using the intel or ati fglrx video drivers, you might have the same problem I had which Is caused by turning on kwin desktop effects.

    There seems to be only 1 solution so far, that is to turn off the kwin effects. I'm using compiz happily now.

  11. #10
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    5

    Lots of crashes since upgrading to Mandriva 2009.1

    Once the information window (that pops up when you copy or move files) closes, claiming that the transfer is complete, that's not really true. The computer is still talking to the device. Then, if I try to eject it, the whole thing freezes up.
    But, if I wait for the device to signal (by not flashing or not saying "writing" or whatever) that it is no longer talking to the computer I can safely eject it, and it doesn't freeze.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •