Find the answer to your Linux question:
I had to give up trying to set up this distro (MANDRAKE 10, download version) since I couldn't make it work fine on my NVIDIA mobo PC. It seems that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

MANDRAKE 10 and NVIDIA MOBO don't get along each other...

I had to give up trying to set up this distro (MANDRAKE 10, download version) since I couldn't make it work fine on my NVIDIA mobo PC.

It seems that distro wass plagued with a bunch of bugs so that my PC froze every now and then. As long as you don't install the correct drivers (NVIDIA OFFICIAL DRIVERS) the system seems stable, but you can't do a lot without XWindow 3D applicantions (at least for me, that I like to take the most out of my hardware) and without setting up a 5.1 Speaker system. I guess if you stick with a basic system, u can live with it (I guess).

If you install any of this NFORCE or VIDEO NVIDIA drivers you can download off Internet (at www.nvidia.com) prepare to experience erratic behavior and constant XWindows freezings. I could see that only by installing NFORCE (for the sound card), the computer froze just before you could ever login on to the Linux Prompt.

Maybe I need to further tweak those drivers so it could make my system more stable or get rid of those hanging problems.

On the other hands, I could install RED HAT ver. 9 on my computer and the drivers for the NVIDIA mobo and my FX5200 and I can see astonishing that my computer works pretty fine, and without getting all of those abovementioned issues.

I posted this new thread in order to discuss and share views or opinions with all of ppl that have the same Mandrake problem running on a Nvidia based mobo.

For the gurus and whoever needs more info about my system, these are my specs:

MOBO: BIOSTAR M7NGC
    CPU: AMD ATHLON XP 2200+
    RAM: 512 MB
    HARDDISK: WD 80GB / Partition: 5GB

later

Froy (from Venezuela)

ps: Excuse my English, folks

Re: MANDRAKE 10 and NVIDIA MOBO don't get along each other..

Quote Originally Posted by froycard
    If you install any of this NFORCE or VIDEO NVIDIA drivers you can download off Internet (at www.nvidia.com) prepare to experience erratic behavior and constant XWindows freezings. I could see that only by installing NFORCE (for the sound card), the computer froze just before you could ever login on to the Linux Prompt.
    I too have sworn off Nvidia's NForce drivers on any Linux machine I have. It causes all sorts of random weirdness. I've never had any trouble with their display drivers, however, even with a bleeding-edge card (6800). You didn't post what display card you were trying to use. Could you please?
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Oops, you're right dude...

Although my video card is not as new as your cutting-edge one, we are using the same video driver:

mine is based on NVIDIA FX5200 chipset, made by MSI:

MSI FX5200.

Like I explained before, it works pretty good on RED HAT 9 Linux and without tweaking the drivers, just install the drivers, update XFree86 configuration file and that's it.

thanks for your comments.

Froy

Quote Originally Posted by froycard
    MSI FX5200.

Like I explained before, it works pretty good on RED HAT 9 Linux and without tweaking the drivers, just install the drivers, update XFree86 configuration file and that's it.

thanks for your comments.

Froy
    Hmm. Well, in this case it may very well be a problem with the version of Mandrake you're trying. If like you said, it works just fine with the same drivers on Redhat, that is. If you like Redhat 9 I'd recommend trying out Fedora Core 2, it's essentially the same distribution but a lot newer. Fedora Core 3 is in the works for a November 1 release as well (if I remember it right).

I had strange problems with an Nforce board and Mandrake 10.0 Community (MSI K7n2-L with nforce2). What version of 10.0 are you using?
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    well, firstly, I downloaded the MANDRAKE ISO files from: http://www.linuxiso.org/distro.php?distro=29

but the one that state: OFFICIAL (not beta ones).

secondly, although I managed to install RED HAT 9, it took me a lot of more work since that old distro didn't recognize well this video card, and it doesn't have any generic drivers that works with this video card so under XWindows. So it takes some time to set it up.

I cannot deny, Mandrake is fairly more friendly than Red Hat, it has many good other features that saves you from a headache that Red Hat lacks and you need to figure out by yourself. But it ain't worth it if you have this random freezing all the time... it really sux......

Well, thanks for your advices anyway...

Froy

Just Joined!

mdk 10 + nvidia + nvsound

Yep i can confirm this too. I'm using MDK 10 official on nvidia4/nforce2 mobo with my Shuttle box. If you use the Graphics driver from NVIDIA there NO issue. If you use the Sound driver you get ALL SORTS of problems and erratic hangs near login. The Network driver seems to be OK.

I put the /etc/modprobe.conf back to the orginal with references to snd-intel8x0. There's some other lines in there referencing "OSS" but i don't know what they do.

Is this an inferior driver?

In my opinion the whole ARTS/OSS/ALSA/ESD/WHATEVER is too confusing. I don't know what these are. I don't want to know. I have 4 linux boxes all with inconsistent sound setups. In some cases xmms works. In some cases totem works. In some cases not.

Why is it so easy in Windoze? Seems we have a long way to go yet.

Just Joined!
    Definitely, I think Linux is not intended for illitirate computer users (I considere one in comparison with these guys who are developing this OS), one has to have a very deep understanding about the hardware and software philosophy in order to try to fix it up and make a system work by oneself. A simple user can set up a PC with a Windows OS in a jiffy, but it takes a great deal of time to install just a PC with a Linux OS so that it works 100% fine with all the hardware your PC has on.

On the other hand, I guess one needs to pay in order to get an optimal -decent-, fully tasted, complaint, funtional drivers for your piece of hardware you want to install, maybe that is the only reason that Windows has the lead over Linux. Linux is an open-source OS and you have to depend on the time and programming-experience of a "guy" or "guys" so that they develop and test programs that run under in linux, and in other case they even engineering reverse programs for other OS so that they can adapt it for Linux (I guess that is not an easy task to achieve), you can't complain about and vent your frustrations with someone, because it doesn't exist a technical support for Linux, you have to rely on these forums for help.

I agree with you that there is a long way to go yet, but I am glad that there is another option aside from windows nowadays that little by little it's taking over.

But, is it worth the hassle and time that you have to invest or you'd better pay for something like Windows (even it is far friendlier that Linux, if I may say) to have your PC up and ready for production or fun rapidly?

Just my humble thoughts on this matter...

Froy
    Caracas, Venezuela

excuse my English

Just Joined!
    I migrated from windows XP to mandrake 10 official (dowloaded) and i also have a NForce mobo (abit NF7-S) uses nforce 2-ultra 400
    further hardware is a MSI FX5600 Creative SB audigy soundcard
    maxtor SATA RAID disks
    512MB-DDRSDRAM (400Mhz) on an athlon XP 2600+ (266 FSB version)
    i didn't install the nforce drvers though, just the FX drivers

my system is running quite smooth though, the only problem i found is that after having installed linux there seemed to be problems with the heat, if i ran much applications at a time the computer would freeze.
    so i opened the box up and saw that it was actually a mess, so i started nicely tying all the cable together and putting them firmly away, when i saw that one of my SATA cables had a broken connector, so i used a new cable, after that the problem never returned ,to i don't know if it was the cable or a heat problem, because my CPU has a lower idle temp right now
    altough windows never had problems...
    anyhow i got doom3 running yesterday, imported my savedgames from windows and everything runs fine, i even got to put my graphic an itch higher without loosing performance
    the only thing i can't get working is my bluetooth device, which sucks but it's alright
    i asked a collegue about this ( i work at hp support desk)and he said that BT is quite difficult to get running and even if it runs it works quite buggy

Just Joined!
    Read my post here.