Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hope you enjoyed the personals styled title I have an old Compaq Presario 1200-XL106 and instead of installing Windows 98 I was hoping to install Linux. There is a problem... ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Old PC seeking Old OS (Mandrake 8.0)

Hope you enjoyed the personals styled title

I have an old Compaq Presario 1200-XL106 and instead of installing Windows 98 I was hoping to install Linux. There is a problem... nothing works on it, not Knoppix 5.0.1/4.0.2, Mandriva 2009.1, Puppy Linux 4.21, nor DSL 4.4.10

So I used google and found a couple of websites that talk about their Compaq Presario 1200-XL106. Apparently Linux on a Compaq Presario 1200-XL106 (rodsbooks.com/presario/) written in 2000 says that I should install Mandrake 7.1 though he lists some issues he had with that version and Mandrivausers.org (mandrivausers.org/old_docs/hardware/hmlf_compaq.html) has 5 users with the same laptop that successfully installed Mandrake 8.0 with no issues.

There is a problem. I cannot locate those files anywhere on the internet. Can someone help with either a recommendation of a version that would work with this old laptop (h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00033663&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang =en&product=352412) or a link to Mandrake 8.0 since I cannot locate it.

Thanks

This might help: linuxcentral.com/catalog/index.php3?s_prod_name=Mandrake+&set_join=AND&s_mf g_code=&s_proc_code=&x=0&y=0&cat=search&id=C1CHzUd BIrICB

Try goblinx.com.br/en/

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurolized View Post
    This might help: linuxcentral.com/catalog/index.php3?s_prod_name=Mandrake+&set_join=AND&s_mf g_code=&s_proc_code=&x=0&y=0&cat=search&id=C1CHzUd BIrICB

Try goblinx.com.br/en/
    Well thats Mandrake 10 and not a free version. So I would have to buy it to find out if it will operate. That might not be a good idea since nothing else will... Also the laptop only has a CDrom drive so the DVD versions wont work

I am not familiar with goblin. Will it work with a 475 MHz AMD-K6-2 Processor & limited ram? What version would you recommend?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    When you say nothing runs on it, what exactly is happening? My first thought is that you probably don't have the RAM to run anything as a live CD. What are the specs of the computer?

Even if you find Mandrake 8.0, you'll likely have no end of trouble with something so old.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by reed9 View Post
    When you say nothing runs on it, what exactly is happening? My first thought is that you probably don't have the RAM to run anything as a live CD. What are the specs of the computer?

Even if you find Mandrake 8.0, you'll likely have no end of trouble with something so old.
    The specks are listed here (h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00033663&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang =en&product=352412)

but I believe you are right about the Live CD's since if I remember correctly the system has 64mb of ram. If you read my first post you will see that I have linked to websites that say that they have successfully used this old OS with this old Laptop.

The specific errors are this:
    Knoppix 5.0.1, Mandriva 2009.1 & Puppy Linux 4.21 = halts during bootup with the kernel loading (though one did boot but with messed up video)
    Knoppix 4.0.2 = halts during bootup (error of limited ram for KDE to run given during bootup)
    DSL 4.4.10 = Freezes 4 min after a successful boot

The only OS that I know works is Win98...

I have only used these as Live versions. While I have used Linux before I have never installed the OS. I would LOVE to run the latest and greatest out there... But I know there will be limitations that why I would rather run Linux since its faster.

In the end all I would like to do is use the internet, word processing & watch videos like DivX & XviD

Any suggestions?

DSL is the only one of the distros you listed that is capable of working on those specs. The freezing is probably something wonky going on with the graphics card.

If you're set on using this machine, you might want to consider buying a little more RAM. An additional 128 MB RAM for your model runs $10-$20. That would increase your options a little more, to Puppy, Antix, Vector Linux, and others, which might work better, and have the advantage of being modern, maintained distros.

installed Mint 6 Fluxbox on my older K6-2 laptop (HP N3250 Pavillion, 475 MHz, 256 MB RAM, 20 GB HD, 800x600 12.1 inch display)

forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=142&t=24292

article on similar 475Mhz
    Last edited by Nurolized; 05-24-2009 at 09:27 PM. Reason: article