Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey all, im having trouble setting up my ati drivers, the modules build successfully from the /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod. But when i launch the make_install.sh file. i get the following error: # ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

HELP WITH ATI RADEON 9200 Drivers in mandrake 10.0!

Hey all, im having trouble setting up my ati drivers, the modules build successfully from the /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod. But when i launch the make_install.sh file. i get the following error:
    # ./make_install.sh
    - creating symlink
    - recreating module dependency list
    - trying a sample load of the kernel module
    FATAL: Error inserting fglrx (/lib/modules/2.6.3-7mdksmp/kernel/drivers/char/drm/fglrx.ko): Operation not permitted
    failed.

Ive noticed when i launch this command in a terminal, i get an extra error message saying:
    *ERROR* FireGL Modules must be loaded prior to any other DRM Kernel module!

Thanks in advanced Ryan

Just Joined!
    Ryan,

you will need to boot into "FAILSAFE" mode (you select this when you boot), i.e., a "clean" linux terminal, where X Server is not running. Run the ./make_install script in this state, and then either start up xserver ('startx') or press CTRL-ALT-DEL to shutdown and reboot. This should get the kernel module to compile.

Chances are, if you're running Kernel 2.6.x, You may encounter other graphic problems as well. I have the same graphics card as you, and the most reliable way to get it to work is to stick to the XFree86/MESA drivers. The ATI ones are just plain unstable and a big configuration hassle IMO.

Unreal Tournament 2004 runs acceptably in 800 x 600 OpenGL mode...