Find the answer to your Linux question:
I purchased the 5 CD Mandrake 10.1 distribution from Linux Central and upgraded my Mandrake 9.2 system. The install when ok but after rebooting it takes 5 minutes for me ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mandrake 10.1 5 min login

I purchased the 5 CD Mandrake 10.1 distribution from Linux Central and upgraded my Mandrake 9.2 system. The install when ok but after rebooting it takes 5 minutes for me to login to my user account. After typing in my username and password the login screen is frozen for those 5 minutes. Logging in as root is faster but when the GNOME 2.6 screen appears it says it has to rebuild in safe mode, which takes about 4 minutes. Logging out and then logging back in takes maybe 5 seconds after I get loggin in once. Its just when I shutdown or reboot that takes the 5 minutes. Mandrake 9.2 did not do this. The system is a Dell pentium 3 with 128 MB RAM.

if you are able to login at all...do a back up and do a fresh installation, it is very unsual for mdk to take that long for you to login unless you are having major conflicts.

Linux Guru
    You say that after you login and logout, your login is speed up? Without knowing more, I would say that you have some process trying to startup and maybe timing out when you first start up and login. Logins would occur faster after that b/c the process is already running. I don't know it would be though.

Do you get any errors or anything? If you login w/out x, do you get the same symptoms?

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Just Joined!

Mandrake 10.1 backup

Thanks to imdeemvp and jeremy1701 for their ideas.
    I have been trying to backup my data files to my SONY CD-RW with no success.
    GCombust and Gnome-Toaster will not recognize my CD-RW drive.
    I have done a cdrecord -scan bus with the following message.

scsidev: 'ATA'
    devname: 'ATA'
    scsibus: -2 target: -2: lun: -2
    Warning: Using ATAPI via /dev/hd* interface. Use dev=ATA:X,Y,Z or dev=/dev/hdX
    cdrecord: Read-only file system. Cannot open '/dev/hdc'. Cannot open SCSI driver.

putting in 2 2 2 to configure GCombust does not work. nor does 0 0 0

X-CD-Roast will recognize the drive but it seems it only writes ISO images to my CD.
    And I do not know how to recover the files from an ISO image.
    X-CD-Roast uses ATAPI:0,0,0

Any help would be appreciated

Just Joined!

Same Problem will sign-in delay

I have the same problem.
    I was thinking it might have to do with the Nvidea driver but have yet prove it. I am open to ideas and will let y'all know if I fix it.
    I also am having problems with the internet working very slowly! I am using MS just to post this!
    Any ideas?

Just Joined!
    New info. The sign in delay does not happen if you boot and read a book and then sign in.

Fixed the slow internet by deleting my old connection with the wizard and making a new one. I think it is faster than 9.2 was!

Thanks to all the helpful people!!

Just Joined!
    If you are still interested. I had the same problem i.e. 5min to start. The problemm has gone after I have reinstalled the system. Just erased the old one and intelled MDK anew. Good thing I don't have that many important data to luse.

Just Joined!

Try disabling devfsd

Hi,

Found a solution through: http://www.google.com/search?q=mandrake+login+delay (1st link)

Try disabling devfsd. Maybe even removing it altogether and installing udev (it seems a fresh 10.1 install doesn't install devfsd but udev)

I'll try it myself this evening, but have faith in the outcome.

Just Joined!

clean install

I backed up my data and did a clean install, formatting root and home.
    The 5 min login went away.
    and as noted by mivale, I do not have devfsd installed now but I do have udev running

Thank you all.