Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
ive just installed mandrake 10.1 on my dell inspiron 8500 laptop and its not detecting any pcmcia sockets. what can i do to get cardmgr to decet the pcmcia socket?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

pcmcia problem

ive just installed mandrake 10.1 on my dell inspiron 8500 laptop and its not detecting any pcmcia sockets.

what can i do to get cardmgr to decet the pcmcia socket?

Linux Guru
    What's the error message when you try to start the pcmcia service? You can look at the dmesg output for pcmcia, it should say [ok] or [failed] and give you a brief message if it failed.

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Just Joined!
    when it boots it has [ok] next to pcmcia
    when i run cardmgr i get

[root@bacchus nick]# cardmgr
    cardmgr[5100]: no pcmcia driver in /proc/devices

so ive looked around and found apcmcia driver in the form of pcmcia-cs-3.2.8.tar.gz and ive decompressed it and tried to run configure but i get the message

[root@bacchus pcmcia-cs-3.2.8]# ./Configure

-------- Linux PCMCIA Configuration Script --------

The default responses for each question are correct for most users.
    Consult the PCMCIA-HOWTO for additional info about each option.

Linux kernel source directory [/usr/src/linux]:
    Linux source tree '/usr/src/linux' is incomplete or missing!
    See the HOWTO for a list of FTP sites for current kernel sources.

Configuration failed.

where would the kernel source directory be on a mandrake 10.1machine, or how do i installthe source if i dont have it?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    The kernel source you can get by going to MCC > install software and search for source.

Let us know if that solves your problem. What kind of card is it not detecting?
    Jeremy

Just Joined!
    i searched for source and only got perl-bsd-resource so i tried searching for kernel and i get 3 choices
    kernel-enterprise-2.4.27.0.pre.2.1mdk-1-1mdk
    kernel-i586-up-1GB-2.6.8.1.10mdk-1-1mdk
    kernel-smp-2.6.8.1.10mdk-1-1mdk
    is of these the right?

Linux Guru
    I don't think it's any of those. Are you sure the source isn't already installed?

What's in /usr/src/ ? It may be called something else, in which case simply make a symbolic link to the actual source called linux.

Jeremy

Just Joined!
    /usr/src only contains empty folders

Just Joined!

problem on a acer

Hi,
    I read your topic about pcmcia cards problem so i decided to explan my problem.
    I have a Acer Travel Mate 212txr and i just installed Mandrake linux 10.1
    During installation my lan card (3com 3c574-tx ) was working correctly and during firsth boot too. When today i started my linux, pcmcias won't work. I investigate and i discovered that when pcmcia start he says:

starting pcmcia[xxxx] : No Sockets Found!!!
    done

I checked kde config panel and he says that there wasn't any pcmcia controller in the computer.

I don't really know where to fix. I also tried to install an older pcmcia controller version (the mandrake 9.1 one) but the result was the same.

when i attach the card, the hd work for a while so i'm thinking that the pcmcia controller is working but the system don't know how to handle it...

Thank you for any help you can give me...

Just Joined!

And the solution is....

Short answer

Install the older kernel in the mandrake's cds. If it make work the pcmcia copy the directive of pcmicia from
    /boot/config-2.4.27-0.pre2.1mdk
    in the file
    /boot/config-2-6-8-1-10mdk
    the line that you want are like this.

#
    # PCMCIA/CardBus support
    #
    CONFIG_PCMCIA=m
    CONFIG_CARDBUS=y
    CONFIG_TCIC=y
    CONFIG_I82092=y
    CONFIG_I82365=y

For you they probably change.
    Note: In the new configuration file there are more directive than in the older... Don't worry!!! Delete all pcmcia's directive in the new!!!

Complete answare.

Yesterday i installed the older kernel and i booted from it. I notice that udev won't work but the pcmcia work correctly. Good i thought the problem is the kernel configuration or udev.
    I deactivated udev and booted whit new kernel. Pcmcia won't work... Ok is the kernel configuration. Iniatially i just copyed the older config file in the place of the new. Naturally when i reboot it didn't work so i decided to fix my problem using the 10.1 installer to update (a 10.1) instead of reinstall all. I boot and... The Pcmcia works!!!

I started investigate in the 2 config file to discover what appened. During my investigation i discover this istruction in the new config

CONFIG_PCMCIA_PROBE=y

I translated it (i'm italian i remember!!!) and i undestood that this was the activation of the probing for new pcmcia controller. I saw that before this line there was some rows whit "n" that in the other kernel was active. I'm talking about:

CONFIG_TCIC
    CONFIG_PD6729
    CONFIG_I82092

At this point i undestood that this line deactivate something. I open the "updated kernel" config and i notice that there was still the older configuration running. At this point all is clear... You must deactivate the probing and activate the controller manually. In this way it start work!!!

Now there is a little question. I'd like to signal this and other bug to mandrakesoft... Where i can do it???

Just Joined!
    Hi I am running into the same problem when trying to load my Linksys WPC55AG. When i rin cardmgr I get
    cardmgr[5609] no pcmcia driver in /proc/devices

I found the drivers for my card running runnign madwifi.
    I ran make
    and make install

now what do I do to make the drivers work?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast