Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm using Mandriva 2008.1 and have been for a while now. Recently, like a few days ago, YIM on pidgin messenger stopped working. I've never had this problem before. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

YIM on pidgin messenger no longer work

I'm using Mandriva 2008.1 and have been for a while now. Recently, like a few days ago, YIM on pidgin messenger stopped working. I've never had this problem before. I have an AIM account on pidgin and it connects and signs on immediately so I know it can't be an issue with pidgin itself. But, I just can't figure out why YIM doesn't work anymore. I've tried multiple id's for YIM under pidgin and all I get is "connecting" and it never goes beyond that. I found out I was originally using an older version of pidgin so I upgraded using package manager, but still no change. I then tried uninstalling and reinstalling pidgin with no success. Anyone have any ideas what the issue might be?

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    I had similar problems recently and I had to change my yahoo im server to cn.scs.msg.yahoo.com and pidgin could connect again.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the help. It worked. I pinged the original pager server and the pings went throug so I'm not sure why it wouldn't allow me to connect using that server. Amazing what adding "cn." can do. Thanks again.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    but still a problem remains for me............i cant connect ot the yahoo chat server.
    what to do about that?

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Did you try the suggestions above? Have you upgraded your version of Pidgin to the latest version.

Read this for an explanation of why pidgin and yahoo broke. The solution at this point is to upgrade to 2.5.8.