Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am using Mandrake 10.1 community. I am able to view contents from my cdrom but I am unable to read my DVD. What could be the cause?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mounting DVD Drive

I am using Mandrake 10.1 community. I am able to view contents from my cdrom but I am unable to read my DVD. What could be the cause?

Linux Guru
    Your problem is not clear. The DVD must be mounted before it can be read. Are you able to mount it? Can you post your file /etc/fstab ? Particularly, we need to see a line kind of like this:
    Code:
    /dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              udf,iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
    That's what my CDROM entry looks like, so I would expect your DVD entry to be similar except maybe with cdrom2 or dvd where the line above is cdrom. Also, since your cdrom and dvd are considered hard drives by Linux, they will actually have a name like hdd or hde. This real name will normally be linked with a "nickname" like cdrom or dvd to make it more recognizable to us. For example, I can see the real name of my /dev/cdrom like so:
    Code:
    [dba@vidremmo dba]$ ls -l /dev/cdrom
    lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            8 Aug 29 17:18 /dev/cdrom -> /dev/hdd
    [dba@vidremmo dba]$
    If this symbolic link does not exist, it must be created with the ln command. In the fstab line, "noauto" means the drive must be mounted manually with the mount command. Removable media like floppies, cd, etc should be set to noauto.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better