Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi i'm a total newbie to linux and i'm trying to get my modem (a usb smartusb56) working under mandrake 10 i've unpacked the gz, run the make command (which ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Kernel include files + driver installation

hi
    i'm a total newbie to linux and i'm trying to get my modem (a usb smartusb56) working under mandrake 10

i've unpacked the gz, run the make command (which worked) and did a make install in a root console. i get error 1 about how it can't find 'modversions.h'... i've checked the dir in the Makefile where it tries to look for these include files and it seems to be there, but i can't find modversions.h on the system anyway

i've done some searching and found i need to install the kernel include files...but how? i can't find any rpms in rpmdrake that would let me install it, and i've already installed the kernel-source 2.6... package

so, can anyone help me install these include files, or are they already installed at /usr/src/linux/include ???

thanks!!

Just Joined!
    The original thread is posted on:
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/linux/...iver_in_Fedora

Install rt2500 WLAN driver in Fedora

Written by Kropotkin - 2005-08-03 05:47

These instructions are based on my experiences installing the Linksys WMP54G PCI card under Fedora Core 4. They should work for rt2400-based cards as well.

First, install the NIC and verify that the hardware has been detected by running lspci. You should see a line like this:

02:0a.0 Network controller: RaLink Ralink RT2500 802.11 Cardbus Reference Card (rev 01)

Next, download the latest rt2500 CVS source tar package from http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/wiki/index.php/Downloads and unpack it. It will unpack itself in a directory like rt2500-cvs-2005072715/

Then, download the header package for your kernel. For example, if you have kernel 2.6.12-1.1398 installed, download the kernel-devel-2.6.12-1.1398 .RPM. Install it with rpm.

Now, go to Modules/ in the rt2500 directory and compile the rt2500 source code
    $./configure
    $./make
    #./make install

Make sure that /etc/modprobe.conf contains the line:

alias ra0 rt2400'

and that /etc/modules.conf contains the line:

alias ra0 rt2400

You may need to create the modules.conf file.

Reboot

If the install went correctly, you should see the ra0 interface listed when you run iwconfig.

You then need to open the gnome system-config-network program (Applications --> System Settings --> Network) and enter the relevant network coordinates for this interface. Once you have done this, save your changes, and activate the device on the first page.