Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I recently installed Mandriva 2008.1 Spring on my computer again. Had a grub loader issue so reinstalled it and everything is fine, except when I try to access my 1TB ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Possible problem with Nautilus

I recently installed Mandriva 2008.1 Spring on my computer again. Had a grub loader issue so reinstalled it and everything is fine, except when I try to access my 1TB external drive. I go to Places menu, open the drive and everything is fine, except when I enter the "movies" folder which contains all the movies I have. The second I go in that folder, my drive shows it's performing a lot of action, then about 10 seconds later the windows for the drive close. The drive doesn't unmount. The windows all pertaining to that drive simply close. But, what confuses me is that it only happens when I enter the "movies" folder. No other folder on the drive causes this event to happen. I've already checked the CPU % for nautilus out of curiousity that maybe it's having problems and crashing or something, but there's nothing out of the ordinary with CPU %. I've been running Mandriva 2008.1 Spring for a while now and I've never had this issue in the past. I already went into package manager and updated to the latest version of nautilus hoping that that was maybe the issue, unfortunately, no change. However, there is one way I can access the "movies" folder without any problems and that's through terminal. When I go in through terminal, I never have any problems. I find that to be very odd. Does anyone know what may be causing this problem? If so, anyone know how I can fix it?

Open the nautilus from the terminal (ie type nautilus in a terminal window), and then open the problem folder. When/if nautilus crashes, you should hopefully get some useful error message in the terminal, which you can post.

My 2c
    Nautilus probably wants to read entire directory before displaying it. Something may be wrong with that directory contents. I'd run fsck on that filesystem.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I now know it's not nautilus. Nautilus is working just fine. And I ran a scan on the entire external drive and there were no errors of any kind. The entire drive is just fine. Also, the drive is in FAT32 format, but it's always been in that format and it's never had issues before. Any other ideas?

Any weird filenames? Illegal characters perhaps?

Just Joined!
    The closest characters to illegal are [ ] ( ) but I've had those characters on filenames for a while and didn't have any issues with them before. Some info I did leave out was that recently I had some compications with my external. I made a mistake and it corrupt all the files on the drive. So, I had to reformat it then use my restore program to restore everything on the drive. I only saved about 3/4 of what I had on there, but after I restored everything I checked the drive for errors of any kind and no issues came up. That's when I transfered everything I restored back to the external. Could that kind of a situation cause somthing like this to happen? And I just connected the drive to my Win7 system and went into the "movies" folder on the drive and got no problems. This issue is so minor, it seems, yet it bugs me that I can't figure out why Linux is acting this way with that one folder.

Did you check the drive from Windows or Linux?

Just Joined!
    I checked the drive on Windows. I tried using dosfsck on Linux, but I can't figure out how to use it to just check the drive for errors.

Make sure the drive is not mounted, then

fsck.vfat /dev/sda1

to check sda1

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Segfault View Post

fsck.vfat /dev/sda1
    I changed "sda1" to match my device. I get a bunch of output about sectors, clusters...the normal. But it ends with "malloc: Cannot allocate memory" and that's where it stops. It only checks for a few seconds before it gives that message. I get the feeling that's not good.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast