Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I'm trying to rpm my first file. rpm is reporting that it is missing dependency libpng.so.2 Where can I find it? and, more important Where do I install it? Thanks ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

where libpng.so.2 ?

I'm trying to rpm my first file. rpm is reporting that it is missing dependency libpng.so.2

Where can I find it? and, more important
    Where do I install it?

Thanks

DonW

Linux Engineer
    when in doubt, use google. a quick search of "libpng" comes up with this site: http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/libpng.html

but for convenience, here is a link to the list of .rpms for the dependency you're looking for: http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat...rch/libpng-1.2. it depends on your distro, so just search that page for the right one. download it, then
    Code:
    cd into_the_directory_you_downloaded_it_to/
    rpm -i filename_of_libpng_rpm_file.rpm
    and that should be it. good luck.

Just Joined!

More help?

I've been to both sites you recommended. I couldn't find the right file that installs libpng.so.2
    A couple of them seemed to be for Mandrake 10.1 but when I downloaded them and checked them out with rpm -qpl they diidn't reveal anything like libpng.so.2.

I sure would apprecatie a little more explicit directions. sorry I'm such a newbie.

DonW

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Rather then using RPM, use Mandrake's URPMI utility. It will d/l and install all the dependencies for you.

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Just Joined!

URPMI ?? CORRECTION

O.K. What's URPMI??

There's no man entry for it and it doesn't seem to be anywhere on my KDE desktop.

CORRECTION: I must have mistyped it the first time around. I found it!

Linux Guru
    You have to be root to use URPMI. Look here for a tutorial on using it:

http://linuxforums.org/forum/topic-19957.html

It's down a ways, and it's called Installing software on Mandrake with urpm.

You may have to install it, but it's generally installed by default.

Jeremy

Just Joined!

URPMI doesn't work either

O.K. Jeremy,

I found and tried URPMI. I get the same failed error message. Package won't install because of failed depency libpng.so.2.

I'm tryiing to install that ^%%$# canonpixus950i.ppd that you sent me to for my canon i950 pritner. So far, it's been a damn furstrating experience.

DonW

Linux Guru
    Ahhhh.

Sorry, That rpm isn't in the URPMI reposatory, so URPMI wouldn't work.

I got that error as well. First, make sure you have the latest version of libpng installed (using URPMI, it should be simple ). Then, you can do one of two things... Make a sym link called libpng.so.2 to the real libpng.so.X, or use the --force option when installing the rpm. Since I still am slacking and haven't yet moddified my own file, I don't know for sure if either option will work 100%.

I will try to try it out tonight when I get home.
    Jeremy

Just Joined!

good luck

I tried installing the file using the URPMI --force option. It seemed to work.
    I hacked the driver file and installed the new printner using it.
    Can't get it to print a tst page.
    Since you obvioulsy know more aobut this stuff than I do, I'm looking forward to your results tonight.

Please tell me via direct e-mail (donw@fyi.net) or this forum how it turns out.

DonW

Linux Guru
    Well, this is a no-go. I installed the rpm's using the same method you did, then edited the .ppd files. They show up in CUPS, but I can't print anything with them. Unfortunatly, I get the standard CUPS error which pretty much says "hey, this isn't working." The BJC 7004 driver works great for my i850, however, the photo printing isn't quite there yet. From some reason, it prints all pictures at 1/2 the height, but not width and I don't have borderless printing either.

I'll keep trying to get either working and I'll let you know my progress. My first attempt will be to install an old version of libpng so that I can have the libpng.so.2 that is required.

Jeremy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast