Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi there, I'm new to Mandrake (but not to Linux/UNIX), and i have a unique situation. I'm unable to mount my 64MB USB Flash drive through the command-line (or even ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

mounting USB keys in Mandrake 10.0

Hi there,

I'm new to Mandrake (but not to Linux/UNIX), and i have a unique situation. I'm unable to mount my 64MB USB Flash drive through the command-line (or even KDE for that matter). Since I have a SATA drive, my mounted filesystems read as 'sda' ones; more specifically, sdas 1-5 excluding #2 (i'm running a triple-boot with 5 partitions). Which other sda should I mount to transfer the files from my USB drive?

Thanks

Zer0

P.S: Does anyone know about the availability of PCI-Express drivers for Mandrake 10.0? I'm unable to setup my Internet becuase of hardware that is "too new". I have a Marvell Yukon PCI-E Gigabit LAN controller.

Just Joined!
    If you have the neccesary modules installed in the kernel then on inserting the usb device, you will have a message added to your logs, (normally in dmesg for debian anyway) which tells you which sd device has been assigned to the usb key.

If you are already using sda then it will normally be added as sdb instead of sda

Just Joined!
    Hello

Just yesterday I reinstalled Mandrake 10.0, and the USB detection is fine now. It's now on supermount, so linux automatically creates a folder called 'removable' in /mnt. Funnily, the USB drive doesn't show up as an sdb now (it did prior to the reinstall), but that's not a problem.

Thanks for replying.