Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi, i am new to mandriva 2009.1 i was checking out all the settings and things you can do and change. i changed the 3D desktop opp. from NO 3D ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[SOLVED] Mandriva 2009.1 HELP?

hi, i am new to mandriva 2009.1 i was checking out all the settings and things you can do and change. i changed the 3D desktop opp. from NO 3D desktop to 3D desktop and it needed to install packages so it did and it said i need to reboot for the changes. so when it booted up i have a white screen and a red curser, that's it. so my ? is how do i reverce this screwup?

thanks 12volt

Smile

Can you able to see the login screen?
    If so then choose other sessions like "ICEVM" (check the options below password text box) and see whether that works.
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakshmipathi View Post
    Can you able to see the login screen?
    If so then choose other sessions like "ICEVM" (check the options below password text box) and see whether that works.
    no when i set it up i choose 1 user no login it boots to the splash screen and then
    black screen with a red curser and that mandriva sound when it boots up,but
    i have win XP on a difrent hdd so when i power on i have a boot screen with a
    choise of mandriva 2009,mandriva2009 safe mode,or win XP if i chose safe mode
    it boots up like DOS in a windows sys.then i'm lost. thank's for the help!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close

Smile

According to 2009.1 Errata - Mandriva Community Wiki
    (Check content 8.1.2 and 11)

Seems like problem related to graphics cards.
    you can add Option "DRI" "off" to the Device section of /etc/X11/xorg.conf. This will disable 3D acceleration and desktop effects, but makes suspend work reliably again and also avoid many types of crashes
    Try one of solution suggested by them.

If you want to login as root , then pass "single" as boot parameter from grub.

Boot Linux Grub Into Single User Mode
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

I don't know mandriva well, but I believe this should work. Boot into safe mode and log in to the console as root.

Edit the following two files
    /etc/sysconfig/compositing-server
    /etc/sysconfig/compositing-wm

There should be a line in each reading
    Code:
    COMPOSITING_WM_START=yes
    Set that to no.

Mandriva should have some sort of command line text editor available, but I don't know which one. I would try pico or nano first, and if those fail, I'm sure they have vi installed. But vi is a bit tricky to use.

So to open a file from the console with nano, for example, type
    Code:
    nano /etc/sysconfig/compositing-server
    Here some vi basics is you end up needing it:
    Basic vi Commands

EDIT: Oh, and to shutdown your computer from the console you can do shutdown -h now

Just Joined!
    thank's i fixed it. mandriva 2009.1 to get into the console after reboot you hit
    ctrl+Alt+F1 and log in as root and then use XFdrake and you can fix it. thank's