Find the answer to your Linux question:
I ran in the console ./configure All went well, so I ran the next command Make All went well, But when I try to run the last command Make Install ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing sniffit.0.3.5.tar.gz ?error?

I ran in the console
    ./configure

All went well, so I ran the next command
    Make

All went well, But when I try to run the last command
    Make Install

I get the following error:::

[root@localhost sniffit.0.3.5]# make install
    make: *** No rule to make target `install'. Stop.

I am very new to linux, and I really have not installed a single progrma yet, except for G-AIM (i do use ICQ/ IRC as well )

Anyhow, any help on why this is happening?

In the dir that appeared after you untarred the file, there should be a file called INSTALL (or something like that). If not, there will be one called README. Check those for instructions on how to install the program. After you do the 'make', the binaries are built. All a typical make install does is move the binary and any docs/libraries that are required to special locations so the program can access them. Also, this allows the binary to be run globally. It is possible that all you have to do is execute a mv statement to move the binary to /bin and then ch{mod,own} it. Either way, the {README,INSTALL} file[s]* should tell you what to do.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    sweet, i found the readme file, and the other files that got extracted... only problem is the readme doesnt go past make... i get the concept now,

one more question...
    whats an mv statement?

Just Joined!
    okay i did some reaserch... and found out that mv is the command to move files...
    this isnt anything like the windows exe ... but im not complaining because windows always crashed or slowed up heavily

it just blows the readme said nothing more than its autoconfigurative, type "configure and then "make ...

did you get an errors from after you ran configure ??

Linux Guru
    as Sarumont said, make install simply copies the binaries to their so-called proper locations. The program will still run from the directory where you installed it (did the make). If you like, you can move the entire thing to something like /usr/local/, then create a sym link to the binary in /usr/bin/. That's exactly what make install would do.

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude