Find the answer to your Linux question:
ok I am new to the linux world and I was wondering if anyone could help a newbie with this problem..... I have an ip address, default gateway, and host ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

connect to the internet

ok I am new to the linux world and I was wondering if anyone could help a newbie with this problem.....

I have an ip address, default gateway, and host anme but can't figure out how to configure my laptop to connect to my cable internet

help me please

thanx

Just Joined!
    Are you connecting thru a home network router or directly to the cable box via cat5? either way try to see if dhcp works since most cable co's use that to give out ip addresses. It may also be that you cable connection is mac address specific and may need to use a router.

Just Joined!
    yes it is mac specified but it didn't stop me with redhat(and that one sucked) is there a way to make it see or maybe find dhcp automatically

thank you for responding

Just Joined!
    ok here is what I would in the MD control center go to network select remove connectio and follow steps to remove net workcard. Then select New connection and follow the prompts to reinstall your network connection and make sure you specify use dhcp. that should get you going make sure you are plugged into the modem before making new connection.