Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey guys, I got a problem with understanding what the available space on the /filesystem is, which led to inability of kde to start before I moved some files to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[SOLVED] space available on the filesystem

Hey guys,

I got a problem with understanding what the available space on the /filesystem is, which led to inability of kde to start before I moved some files to a different partition. The problem is the following: I have 2 Gb of space available on /, as all the file managers tell me and the output of df -h : /dev/sda6 43G 41G 0 100% / . But as you see from this output, it also thinks that 2 Gb out of 43 adds up to 0% somehow. When I removed another Gb, I'm now getting the following: /dev/sda6 43G 41G 0 100% / .

Do you know what does it mean, and why Mandriva doesn't want to appreciate those 2Gb of free space?

Thank you,
    M
    Last edited by nikitchm; 09-02-2009 at 05:57 AM. Reason: change the title to be more clear

Smile

If i'm not wrong,(ext 2/3 file system) reverses 5% for root user as a safety measure. so 5% of 43GB comes around 2GB.That's why it's shown as 100% usage for normal users.
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

Just Joined!
    Thank you for the quick response! I've just checked it - you're absolutely right about 5%. And here is the way to get rid of it: (well, I cannot post the link before I got 15 posts..., so add www before: andremiller.net/content/recovering-reserved-space-ext2-and-ext3-filesystems)
    Briefly: if the device you want to lift the protection up for is, let's say, /dev/sda6, you can do it by: "tune2fs -m 0 /dev/sda6" . Check the space available with "df -h" before and after the command.