Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Ok now I'm very new to the whole Linux thing.. I did a lot of research and decided that Mandriva was better because of it hardware support, especially for the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Can Not Get WUSB300N to connect

Ok now I'm very new to the whole Linux thing.. I did a lot of research and decided that Mandriva was better because of it hardware support, especially for the WUSB300N wireless card..

So first off I just tried in via my desktop using vista. It seems like a good OS, and it recognized my wireless card no problem.. But after installing it I could not get it to work my error message I get is

"No Packages Named Wireless tools"
    "Could Not Install The Packages (Wireless Tools)

Now under the systems section not sure what it is called, but it does list the WUSB300N adapter, put with a ? next to it.. So my question is how in the world to I get this to work? I'm a complete noob to Linux and need all the help i can get. Thanks

I don't know Mandriva well, but it sounds like during installation, it didn't install the wireless tools package for some reason.

It should be on the installation CD or if you have a wired connection you can download it via your package manager. It will probably be named something like wireless_tools or wireless-tools.
    Installing and removing software - Mandriva Community Wiki

Just Joined!
    It depends on what disk you used to install.
    The Mandriva One LiveCD has a feature that removes any unused drivers and tools before beginning the installation, it is recommended that you de-select this feature. It sometimes removes stuf that you might actually need later.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    thanks so I assume I can reinstall the OS, if I can't figure out where the tools are right.. And is it normal for this drive that Mandriva is on not to be recognized on by my windows OS? I will let you all know what happens..

And is it normal for this drive that Mandriva is on not to be recognized on by my windows OS?
    Yes, Windows doesn't support linux partitions out of the box.

Three Ways To Access Linux Partitions (ext2/ext3) From Windows On Dual-Boot Systems | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials

Just Joined!
    Well I finally got it to work last night after reinstall the software. I picked the driver from my linksys cd, under xp drivers. I was happy until today.. I turned on the pc, it recognized all the networks in my area. Ok figured lets go to the net, well it wouldn't said I had to configure my network, well I tried it again and it failed this time to reinstall the same drives I had choose.. Personally I'm tired of the Linux experience. It has been around for almost 20yr and they keep on saying on great it is and how it is better then windows. I beg to differ has my experience has been nothing but a night mare.. I would like to give it a shot but if it is going to cause this much problems then why bother.. I'm new to this and even the help documents don't help all the well.

Just to let you know I was on the net last night after I configured my network to connect to my router that is up stairs, as I use the wireless card to get mine. But like I said even when it was recognized and I tried to connect I would be told that connection failed, need to configure your net work as it was already configured so this should have been a none issue..

As with anything, there is a learning curve. Windows isn't necessarily easier, it's just familiar. And most people don't install their own own operating system. You're also using a wireless card that has only recently had a linux driver released, which has nothing to do with Mandriva or anyone developing linux, and everything to do with the manufacturer of the card.

If you're interested in trying again, now or in the future, I would consider looking at different distros, like Ubuntu or Linux Mint. Not saying your usb adapter will work with them out of the box, at least in the current releases. (Though it might.) But Ubuntu and derivative distros have a lot of community support, which makes solving these problems easier.

Just Joined!
    I choose Mandriva because of the suport for my wireless adapter. I have tried ubuntu with no luck at all even with their instructions.. I'm just frustrated as heck, maybe it is because I'm so use to Windows.. I'm still going to read and research to try and find the right solution.. I also heard that Fedora is good, so I will look into that as well..

Just Joined!
    From what you described, it doesn't look like Mandriva will natively support your Wireless card. It seems to be using ndiswrapper to run the card. (A hack that uses the Win32 ndis driver) This often requires some manual tweaking to make it work. Try searching around for ndiswrapper instructions.

I had mistakenly thought this was a different card when I mentioned linux drivers before. Ongte is correct, I don't believe there is a native driver, and you'd need to use ndiswrapper with the windows xp driver.

Can you post the output of the following:
    /sbin/lsusb
    /sbin/lsmod
    iwconfig

If iwconfig gives a wireless interface, such as wlan0, also post
    dmseg | grep wlan0

Where did you see that mandriva supported this device?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast