Find the answer to your Linux question:
Quick Info: 2x 160 gig hard drive 1 x sata raptor (with windows on it) Mandrake 10.1 installed on one of the IDE 160 gigs, at the beginning of the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

A Few n00b Questions

Quick Info:

2x 160 gig hard drive
    1 x sata raptor (with windows on it)

Mandrake 10.1 installed on one of the IDE 160 gigs, at the beginning of the hd on its own partition (then the rest of that hard drive is an ntfs storage partition for windows...and soon hopefully mandrake)
    First of all, I am having problems with my boot up sequence (lilo). It seems to stop displaying the message /dev/sda1 is not a valid block device. Is there any way I can get linux to ignore sda1? (this is a sata raptor hard drive with windows on it...so its best ignored) Or alternatively implement full support for it....which leads me to my next question...can I get linux to read my other ntfs formatted hard drives and vice versa?

This would be vital firstly because I could access mp3's etc... from both windows and linux...also because at the moment I cannot connect to the net from linux, I need to access an rpm (downloaded speedtouch alcatel modem drivers) which i downloaded under windows and so I need access from linux to make them work...

*note i can boot into linux, but its very random, sometimes works, sometimes doesnt, but ALWAYS gives me the sda1 block error when I view the boot sequence verbose by pressing esc.

Thanks for any help, I am very keen to become a mandrake user!

Hey mrchu, and welcome to Linux
    To answer your question of accessing NTFS drives from Linux, the answer is Yes, you can view your Windows partitions from Linux. You can't however do the same thing from Windows (view your Linux partitions). In order to enable read/write support of NTFS partitions from Linux, you need to recompile the kernel to support it.
    -lakerdonald

Just Joined!
    Yes Linux cannot write to NTFS. You can however read from it, so yes, you can access mp3's.

Actually last I heard the 2.6.7 (newest kernel I've used) actually supports write to NTFS. It was still experimental so by now it might actually be possible.

Remember though if you plan on running Wine or trying to run games in Linux via WineX, you'll need a FAT32 partition to do this. Windows XP's install will not allow you to create a FAT32 partition unless it is 30 gigs in size or smaller, I believe. It's MS's way of forcing you to upgrade, yet again.

As for your modem, youmay want to check the specs on it to determine whether or not it's a winmodem. Winmodems are modems designed specifically to work with Windows and Windows only (gosh, don't you love MS?).

You can make *some* winmodems work in Linux. Note: I said SOME. This is very rare. Check /usr/doc for more details.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    compiling the kernel entails:
    1)downloading the kernel source
    2)changing to the installed directory for the kernel source (usually /usr/src/linux, which is a symlink to /usr/src/2.x.x-x)
    3)running
    Code:
    make menuconfig
    4)and then issuing the appropriate commands (kernel-specific) to "activate" the recompiled kernel

in your case, you would want to make sure that an option such as
    "NTFS Support" or something similar is checked when you're recompiling the kernel