Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi. I'm trying to partition Mandrake Linux and Windows, I currently have Windows XP installed but when I get to the option that says "use existing space on windows partition" ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installation help

Hi. I'm trying to partition Mandrake Linux and Windows, I currently have Windows XP installed but when I get to the option that says "use existing space on windows partition" it will freeze for about 15 seconds and then tell me the "partitioning failed, nftsresize v1.9.1 cluster acccounting failed"

Is there any way to fix this? thanks

Just Joined!

oops

Oh, I forgot to mention I tried Mandrake Linux 10.0 and got the same error, then I tried 10.1 and the same thing happened.

Just Joined!
    Hmmm......no idea. Though, once you get past this, make one partition called / and have it use all the disk space. Use the ext2 fs. It'll help when it comes to installing Mandrake packages.

Just Joined!

hmm

My computer still has the windows XP home edition that came preinstalled with the computer, would reformating completely do anything or?.. and reinstalling windows ofcourse

Y0U
    Just Joined!

hm....

try this, make a fresh windows install.

then install linux on remaning partition, and use the linux's own boot manager. this will surely help.

Linux Engineer
    You could also use limewire, dl partition magic with key, and repartition your xp drive on the fly, and with the xtra space install mandrake...

Linux Newbie
    yeah,
    you will have to make a new partition to install Linux. Resize windows partition and create new one for Linux

Linux Guru
    I belive that qtparted can handle ntfs. Knoppix comes with a nice version of qtparted, and then you're using opensource software rather then pirated.

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude