Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Just done a fresh install and get all these errors: --- $HOME/.dmrc file is being ignored. This prevents the default session and langauage from being saved. Fil should be owned ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Complete Newbie & New Install

Just done a fresh install and get all these errors:

---
    $HOME/.dmrc file is being ignored. This prevents the default session and langauage from being saved. Fil should be owned by user and have 644 permissions. Users $HOME directory must be owned by user and not writeable by other users.

Could not update ICEauthority file /home/admin/.ICEauthority

There is a problem wiht the configuration server (usr/lib/gconf-sanity-check-2 excited with status 256)

Nautilus could not create the following required folders:

/home/admin/desktop
    /home/admin/.nautilus

Before running Nautilus, please create these folders or set permissions such that nautilus can create them.
    ----

So then I press control alt f1, thinking I am in the console, and then try to change permission by typing the following:

chmod 644 ~/.dmrc

So nothing happens. Please help.

Sounds like something went wrong with the creation of the main user account.

Did you run chmod as root? I would make sure both ownership and permissions are correct for the home directory.

Code:
    su -
    chown -R <username> /home/<username>
    chmod -R 755 /home/<username>
    Replace <username> with your username.

No i don't know the commands to run as root. but ill try that code you provided and it works live now. Thanks for the help, that's amazing.

The only error it kicks out at the start now is:

"$HOME/.dmrc file is being ignored. This prevents the default session and langauage from being saved. Fil should be owned by user and have 644 permissions. Users $HOME directory must be owned by user and not writeable by other users."

I ran all the commands you said along with chmod 644 ~/.dmrc

When running the above from root it said the dmrc file didn't exist.

The su - will give you a root shell. It will prompt you for the root password, which you should have set up during the installation process.

Yes I ran it as root with the password i setup at the start. All is working now except I still get that error mentioned in the edited post. Thanks! All of the other errors have gone. I'm typing this post from the new Linux.

Hmm. I believe the ~/.dmrc file stores some configuration for the login manager, so it should be automatically created. You can try and make it yourself.

As your user, not root
    Code:
    touch ~/.dmrc

I tried it but it is still showing the error. Thanks for trying anyway. It has to be something to do with permissions so I'll give it my best shot for a week or so if I cannot fix it then ill write down exactly what i have tried and repost. cheers. its great to be live on linux and i actually quite like it.

Here are my permissions. Are they incorrect?

drwxr-xr-x 2 admin admin 4096 2009-10-27 19:45 Desktop
    drwxr-xr-x 2 admin admin 4096 2009-10-26 23:36 Documents
    drwxr-xr-x 2 admin admin 4096 2009-10-26 23:36 Download
    drwxr-xr-x 2 admin admin 4096 2009-10-26 23:36 Music
    drwxr-xr-x 2 admin admin 4096 2009-10-26 23:39 Pictures
    drwxr-xr-x 2 admin admin 4096 2009-10-26 23:36 Templates
    drwx------ 20 admin admin 4096 2009-10-27 20:00 tmp
    drwxr-xr-x 2 admin admin 4096 2009-10-26 23:36 Videos

Please note that admin is the name of the administrator account and the name of the user account.

You have it currently so that your the owner, admin, of the directories has full read, write, and execute permissions, and everyone else can enter and read the directories. This doesn't show the ~/.dmrc file permissions, but all that should be required is that the user owns the file and is the only one with write permissions.

Please note that admin is the name of the administrator account and the name of the user account.
    Can you clarify this? How did you set this up?

Yes but admin and admin are two different account haha I think I screwed up my first installation. I am re installing it now. I'll call them something differen't this time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast