Find the answer to your Linux question:
how do i set up dragon player to watch dvd's? I can play mp3's in amarok but dvd's wont work. thank you. Bower...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

watching dvd's in 2010

how do i set up dragon player to watch dvd's? I can play mp3's in amarok but dvd's wont work.

thank you.

Bower

You might need to install Libdvdcss
    libdvdcss - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Linux Newbie

libdvdcss2 installed

now that I installed this library dragon now just locks up. but doesn't say that it can't play. It did update all my codecs too. Also i posted this separate but my main dvd drive is locked shut and wont open. i did get it to open once and put a disk in but then i had to use a paper clip to open again. I am using KDE mandriva 2010. any ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by bower View Post
    now that I installed this library dragon now just locks up. but doesn't say that it can't play. It did update all my codecs too. Also i posted this separate but my main dvd drive is locked shut and wont open. i did get it to open once and put a disk in but then i had to use a paper clip to open again. I am using KDE mandriva 2010. any ideas.
    Sounds like faulty hardware..you may need a new DVD drive. Have you tried using a different DVD player, like VLC or Mplayer?
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.

Linux Newbie

Faulty Hardware

it all worked until i upgraded. i have 2 dvd drives. neither one works. i will try another program.

Bower

Well, it could also be a bad upgrade,,I have seen a ton of Ubuntu users having problems with upgrades. Does everything work ok when you boot from a LiveCD?

EDIT: I know you are not using Ubuntu, I was just using that as a reference.

You might also consider this: Some DVD's just won't play because of copy protection or whatever....I was just fiddling with my DVD collection and noticed that I cannot play Led Zeppelin Disc 1 of a four DVD set.

Just Joined!
    To watch DVD especially encrypted ones. I'd suggest using SMplayer. But first, you'll need the PLF repository to get the complete set of codecs.
    Head over to Easy Urpmi and click on 'Add PLF'.

Then you can install SMplayer with # urpmi smplayer

Linux Newbie

tried live cd

i have tried a live cd with great luck. all my drives are working properly. so it must just be a bad upgrade. is there anyway i can fix this. also it doesn't come up and ask me what i want to do when i place a disk in the other drive. the burner is still locked in 2010. i used mandriva 2009.0 live cd.

thanks to all Bower

Linux Newbie

SMplayer

To watch DVD especially encrypted ones. I'd suggest using SMplayer. But first, you'll need the PLF repository to get the complete set of codecs.
    Head over to Easy Urpmi and click on 'Add PLF'.

Then you can install SMplayer with # urpmi smplayer

I tried this and although it doesn't lock up it just sits there doing nothing

I think it would but it doesn't see my main dvd drive and it doest come up asking what i want to do

Bower