Find the answer to your Linux question:
i want to know if it's possible to download some kind of package bundle, because i'm getting quite tired of always having to download numerous packages before i can install ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

packages bundle

i want to know if it's possible to download some kind of package bundle, because i'm getting quite tired of always having to download numerous packages before i can install some program
    or am i just doing something wrong?
    if download some program and i try to install it (./configure)
    it says you need package X
    so i go searching for package X
    then it says package Y
    and so it goes on for a couple of packages, and sometimes even says (after i installed the correct package), that i still need the same package

Linux Engineer
    Mandrake uses it's own package manager for installing packages. That will do all the dependency hunting for you. It really is a very good system that mandrake uses. See below about setting it up.

http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

Just Joined!
    that's nice, but that goes only for RPM's doesn't it?

Linux Engineer
    Yes, but the rpm repository is very large. Have you set the sources up and seen if the packages you want are listed?
    Lansbury's Lido

Just Joined!
    yes i know but there are still some out there that aren't rpm
    but i guess i could do some more work for those few programs
    the code the page generates, does it tell the system to go download all the packages on the specified ftp's?
    i used linux from time to time, the first time was like 8yrs ago, but i always installed windows again because there was some little program out there that i couldn't get installed and that i really needed, like bluetooth for example, i'm planning on installing mandrage 10.1 tonight, but i wanna make sure i can install everything i need so i can keep using linux

Linux Engineer
    The code generated sets up the location of the source repositories and downloads the headers, it doesn´t download the packages in one go. The package manager will download what it needs when you ask it to install one of the progs. All this is donw via the packaging manager in the mandrake control centre.

And true, there will always be packages that aren´t available from the repos sources. then we plod on with hunt the dependency
    Lansbury's Lido

Linux Engineer
    If you´re moving from mdk 10.0 to 10.1 then the installer will have an upgrade option. Much easier than a clean install and Ie yet to see a mdk upgrade crash the system
    Lansbury's Lido

Just Joined!
    currently there's only winXP on my sys
    but i'm planning to format that drive completely
    how are things with sata detection in mdk10.1? i know that there were problems with the last distro i used (9.1), i kinda had to write all the drivers in the bootsection because it was fairly new back then

because i moved recently and i don't have my floppy drive in my computer yet (it's still at my parent's home, i normally use a zip drive) and i know that you need a floppy drive to load the sata drivers :s