Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a peculiar problem. I have realtech RTL-8110SC/8169SC Gigabit Ethernet (onboard) on a C2D. I can set up pppoe (bridge) and I am able to connect to the net. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

pppoe issue Mandriva 2010 x86 64 one NIC 2 devices

I have a peculiar problem. I have realtech RTL-8110SC/8169SC Gigabit Ethernet (onboard) on a C2D. I can set up pppoe (bridge) and I am able to connect to the net. When I restart I am not able to connect as in the net center I can see eth1 also instead of eth0 only. I tried removing all the interfaces, even disabled onboard NIC. Restarted then enabled NIC once again and setup pppoe it works but then restarting still the same problem. I was not having this problem in Mandriva 2008 and 2009, 2009.1 (x86 64) but in 2010 x86 64 this problem exists. I am using 2010 free x86 64 dvd KDE version.

Any help? thanks in advance

Just Joined!
    If you use KDE will KPPP dial-up manager work? I set that up in Fedora, connected my Moto V3 and it worked. After setting up you will get a modem busy error, but ignore it, close and connect thru desktop connections.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Carsto View Post
    If you use KDE will KPPP dial-up manager work? I set that up in Fedora, connected my Moto V3 and it worked. After setting up you will get a modem busy error, but ignore it, close and connect thru desktop connections.
    Thank you friend, after repeating the process of removing the devices and setting up again the problem is solved but I don't know the reason why it happened. My ethernet device is eth1 instead of eth0 ! I don't understand why not eth0

thanks again for the reply

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

eth0/1 Problem.

There was another gent just yesterday with the same kind of thing on an Atheros card.

There the ath0 port is not available during boot. Sorry that piece I got off the Wiki on, I think, something like Installing madwifi on Gentoo.

OK, so very different things apparently, yet hardware is hardware. Read up as much as possible, you'll stumble over the answer sooner than you think!!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Carsto View Post
    There was another gent just yesterday with the same kind of thing on an Atheros card.

There the ath0 port is not available during boot. Sorry that piece I got off the Wiki on, I think, something like Installing madwifi on Gentoo.

OK, so very different things apparently, yet hardware is hardware. Read up as much as possible, you'll stumble over the answer sooner than you think!!
    Problem repeated again! I am not bale to figure out why this is happening. Sometimes device showing up as eth0 and some other time eth1. If ppp0 is setup on eth0 and after restart eth1 appears BB won't work same applies to device detected as eth1 and ppp0 setup nest boot device appearing as eth0. Definitely there is some bug. I am not able to identify.

Anybody have such issues? Seems I have to live-up with this.

Though I am not able to understand what you mean.

Just Joined!
    The gent with the problem on the Atheros card uses Devil Linux. He was convinced that Devil was the problem when he couldn't get ath0 during boot up. I accidentally came upon the info on Installing madwifi on Gentoo where it simply stated this to be the case out of the card's setup.

There is another heading; Installing athX automatically when booting. This is also on the Gentoo wiki. Here it gives you the script to repair this situation.

It does not matter what make of hardware you have, there is only so much that can be done with it. The issue is: "What did this manufacturer decide to put into his card?" There is a series of things that can be done in setting up a card and each only has a yes/no answer. You must "reverse engineer" to see what they did.

As you read up on a field of other cards, you get a grasp on what your card does. Its a simple case of jogging your mind. You, then, do not need card specific info. You now know what to look for. "Oh, that's familiar!" " No, not quite that".

In Fortran 4 you could not jump out of loops safely - especially nested ones! It left the loop parameters as wild cards - unset - unknown. Your situation - although it has nothing to do with Fortran loops - looks like the same thing. The cycle of switching the PC on and off takes the card through a set of programs and when it is done you have wild cards where you need solid settings.

You must find where this happens and control it manually by script or similar action. Doesn't matter what the cycle, it must come back to the same thing at the same point.