Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I am new to linux and this is my first linux installation. I have windows vista already installed on my internal hard drive and i installed mandriva on the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Booting Mandriva2010 from an external usb hard drive

Hi,
    I am new to linux and this is my first linux installation.

I have windows vista already installed on my internal hard drive and i installed mandriva on the external usb drive. Since I already had some data on the external drive, I created two partition and installed mandriva on the second partition. I also installed mandriva default(GRUB) bootloader to the first partition of my external hard drive. The OS ran perfectly for the first few times .ie. i was able to boot to mandriva form my usb drive by changing the boot device ,as well as to vista when I set internal drive as the boot device.

When I plugged in my external drive again and tried to boot form it, the boot timed out and the system booted from the internal drive (.ie. to vista).
    The only difference which happened from the first few runs and now is the order of the usb drives. i have one more usb storage media and it was also plugged in during the initial installation and run.

Is there any way I can boot to mandriva from the externall usb hard drive the same way as it happened the first few times? I also want to be able to boot from the external HDD on any computer which supports usb booting to mandriva when I plug the drive in.

Thank You

Hi intekin

Quote Originally Posted by intekin View Post
    Hi,
    I am new to linux and this is my first linux installation.

I also installed mandriva default (GRUB) bootloader to the first partition of my external hard drive. The OS ran perfectly for the first few times
    What changes did you make Here After!!

Quote Originally Posted by intekin View Post
    When I plugged in my external drive again and tried to boot form it, the boot timed out and the system booted from the internal drive (.ie. to vista).
    The only difference which happened from the first few runs and now is the order of the usb drives.
    You may have answers your own question here, you may well have changed the boot order, and the positioning of your external USB drives seems to have changed.

Is this correct?

How large is your internal hard drive, you could have re-partioned the drive placing your second OS there or have placed the grub there on the internal drive, than weather your OS was installed on another disk, no problem.

I hope this is of help.

Jnike

Just Joined!
    If it now boots up without even a hint of GRUB, then you have somehow lost GRUB. Most like it was installed into the wrong device in the first place.
    Using the BIOS to choose boot devices is always tricky because the BIOS swaps the device order, which messes up GRUB.

You may need to reinstall GRUB into the correct drive. In a terminal as root on the LiveCD:
    Code:
    # grub
    grub> find /boot/grub/stage1
    (hdX,Y)
    grub> root (hdX,Y)
    grub> setup (hdX)
    grub> quit
    Now try accessing the /boot/grub/menu.lst on the USB Drive. You may need to change the boot device, maybe something like (hd1,4) to (hd0,4)

Note that the (hdX,Y) that is returned in the above grub command may not necessarily be the one you should reference in your /boot/grub/menu.lst file. This is because, when booting from USB, your BIOS rearranges the order of the drives, which changes the value of X.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close