Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm completely new to Linux, just installed mandriva 2010 yesterday. I want to install loads of new programmes, codecs etc and I've just figured out that this involves typing ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Root login not working

Hi, I'm completely new to Linux, just installed mandriva 2010 yesterday. I want to install loads of new programmes, codecs etc and I've just figured out that this involves typing commands in the konsole. My problem is that when I type in my administrator password (and I know it's the right one) the query to type in the password reappears, so I do and the query pops up again. I repeated the process a bunch of times then gave up in frustration. Am I doing something wrong or is there something wrong with my pc?
    Also, does anybody know a good beginners guide for Mandriva and/or linux in general? I really haven't got a clue what I'm doing, Windows is ingrained in my mind.
    Thanks

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

You should be logging in as a regular user, then going to a terminal and issuing the su command to gain root privileges:

Code:
    su
    or...

Code:
    su -
    Is that the way you are doing it?

You can find some helpful documentation at the Mandriva wiki:

Mandriva Community Wiki
    oz

Just Joined!
    Thanks! I tried the terminal command prompt option but that had similar results in that it doesn't seem to allow me to type - I put "su", it tells me to type the password but nothing appears on the screen as I type and when I press enter it tells me the password is invalid.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Turphy View Post
    Thanks! I tried the terminal command prompt option but that had similar results in that it doesn't seem to allow me to type - I put "su", it tells me to type the password but nothing appears on the screen as I type and when I press enter it tells me the password is invalid.
    Nothing is supposed to show up on screen as you type in your password, because password characters are not echoed to the screen. You need to type it in just as if it were showing up, then press ENTER.

From the wiki posted above:

Being root - Mandriva Community Wiki

Root - Mandriva Community Wiki
    oz

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the advice. I figured out that there must be something wrong with the password so I followed links to see how to change it. Im now happily able to download and install all the programmes I wanted. My only problem now is not being able to watch any video files - DVDs or streaming ones from youtube or bbc iplayer. I think I need various plugins and codecs but I'm not sure how to go about getting them.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Turphy View Post
    My only problem now is not being able to watch any video files - DVDs or streaming ones from youtube or bbc iplayer. I think I need various plugins and codecs but I'm not sure how to go about getting them.
    You might want to set up easy urpmi if you haven't done so already, then you can install the video players and codecs that you want:

Easy Urpmi
    oz