Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I am currently running a mandriva 2007 server on my internal network. It is (obviously) getting a bit outdated. I am planning on updating it to 2010 but need ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Upgrading/migrating server

Hello,

I am currently running a mandriva 2007 server on my internal network. It is (obviously) getting a bit outdated. I am planning on updating it to 2010 but need some pointers on how to do this with minimal hassle.
    From what I can tell (and feel) a fresh installation is in place instead of an upgrade. That also suits my need of replacing the system drive with a new one.

Now to the questions;
    1. I am running a setup with a raid0 setup, a raid5 setup (and some additional drives). I don't have the spare space to move all the data somewhere else and back again so I need to be able to map these raid sets in the new installation without hassle.

2. I have set up a fileserver (SAMBA), printserver (CUPS), VNC server. I need to be able to restore (or find good documentation on how to set this up again) since I have forgotten most of what I did (that's what I get for a config-and-forget setup).

3. Personal settings such as SuperKaramba, messaging clients and so on.

4. Any other suggestions you might have on what to do, and how to go ahead with this.

Thanks!

I would also do a fresh install.
    Mostly, because I never used mandriva
    But I think I can give some pointers.

Now to the questions;
    I am running a setup with a raid0 setup, a raid5 setup (and some additional drives).
    Get rid of that raid0, if there is anything of value on it. (Is it your system? I would recommend raid1)
    One drive fails and and everything on that raid0 is gone.

Would that be a hardware or software raid?
    HW: Other than the raid0 issue from above, no change needed.
    SW: I *think*, a modern distribution should recognize and be able to re-use an existing raid5.

But the faint of heart (like me) would make a backup before re-installing.
    Even if it's only to a USB drive.
    Rsync is your friend.

I have set up a fileserver (SAMBA), printserver (CUPS), VNC server.
    That config should all be in /etc
    Copying the whole /etc to some external storage (USB drive/stick) cant hurt.

You may need to make adjustments, as the versions of the daemons have changed.

Personal settings such as SuperKaramba, messaging clients and so on.
    These settings can be found in the HOME directories, usually hidden. (ie dot files and dirs)
    Copy at least these.
    - Install the application in your new system
    - copy the old dot files/dirs to your new HOME
    - if you are lucky, the application is configured as on the old system
    - but there is a chance, you will need to make adjustments. Same reason as in 2.) Newer version of the app may need other/new options

Any other suggestions you might have on what to do, and how to go ahead with this.
    - solve the raid0 issue from 1.)
    - backup. Remember Murphy's Law
    - take your time, dont do that under pressure
    - note IP, gateway, nameserver and hostname of the old system. It might be a good idea to re-use them, so that -for example- you do not have to reconfigure the vnc *client*, that connects to that machines' new vnc server
    Last edited by Irithori; 12-23-2009 at 10:25 PM.
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.