Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey all, A while back I tried downloading the AVG Free installers from the AVG website. I downloaded all of the files (.deb, .rpm, .sh, & .tar.gz) but I cannot ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Smile Installing AVG Free Anti-virus

Hey all,

A while back I tried downloading the AVG Free installers from the AVG website. I downloaded all of the files (.deb, .rpm, .sh, & .tar.gz) but I cannot get any of them to install. I was hoping that I'd just be able to double-click on them and that they would appear in my Applications menu, but this doesn't appear to be the case. Could you please tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Many thanks,
    Stu

Hi!
    First thing we need to know is which distro are you using. Have you checked your system repos to see if it is available there? Not all distros make it available for download but some might. Second thing is, you need to make sure you download the correct version for your distro (.deb .rpm .sh and .tar). See this short guide to installing software and one more for Linux security, you may not even need AVG unless you are running a mail server of some type.
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...are-linux.html
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...-security.html
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    If you're running Mandriva, you should get the rpm version. You should be able to just double click it to install. If it doesn't, then it's gotta say something.

I just checked & AVG is not in the repos.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ongte View Post
    If you're running Mandriva, you should get the rpm version. You should be able to just double click it to install. If it doesn't, then it's gotta say something.

I just checked & AVG is not in the repos.
    Hi Mike and Ongte,

I double clicked on the rpm version and it appeared to go through the install process but I cannot find AVG in my Applications menu. Should it be like in Windows where it's an actual application or could it just be a service that runs in the background?

Many thanks,
    Stu

Just Joined!
    AVG for Linux is a command line application. So naturally there's no entry in the GUI. Check out this article on tuxradar.

Just Joined!
    AVG for Linux is a command line application. So naturally there's no entry in the GUI. Check out this article on tuxradar.
    Cool, that makes sense why I can't find it then. Thanks for explaining that. Do you know much about ClamAV? What do you think is the best GUI anti-virus program out there?

Stu

Just Joined!
    I've not had the occasion to need an Antivirus on Linux. There are no real viruses on Linux save for some proofs of concept.
    As long as you keep your firewall tight & your system up-to-date. There's no reason for a typical Linux desktop to be concerned with Viruses.

If you run an email or proxy server that might potentially send harmful things to a Windows PC, then you would want to use something like AVG as a filter. That's why AVG is CLI only. It's not designed to be used by a desktop user.

As for ClamAV. I've used it briefly, It was simple & friendly to use. It wasn't very good at catching viruses. So I'd say AVG is still better at that.

Just Joined!

Smile

I've not had the occasion to need an Antivirus on Linux. There are no real
    As for ClamAV. I've used it briefly, It was simple & friendly to use. It wasn't very good at catching viruses. So I'd say AVG is still better at that.
    Cool. Thanks heaps for that