Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am using mandriva 2010 and now i have all cd and dvds noticed when put in but when i try and watch the dvd it is just a black ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

no dvd support

I am using mandriva 2010 and now i have all cd and dvds noticed when put in but when i try and watch the dvd it is just a black screen. i hit play and it says stopped. i followed the instructions in the stcky post on page one. any ideas i can play mp3s though just fine

Bower

Linux Newbie
    did you install the libdvdcss library?... post more details on steps you performed.
    EOF

Linux Newbie

already installed libdvdcss

this is the procedure i followed. it is in this forum under mandriva sticky number 1

If you want to use mplayer finish this step, if not skip to step 4. Run
    Code:

urpmi mplayer-gui

This is the graphical user interface for mplayer. It should ask your permission to install some additional needed packages. Just agree to them, by jumping ahead to installing the gui you skip having to run individual commands to install the key program files for mplayer because it does it automatically.

4) This plugin works regardless of whether you install the mplayer gui or not. If you want to use Kaffeine or another movie player instead of mplayer then I still recommend you install the Mozilla Firefox plugin for mplayer. It allows you to view/listen to embedded media files. To do this run
    Code:

urpmi mplayerplugin

This also will ask your permission to install additional packages, agree. It will install the core mplayer program files and the firefox plugin, but will not install the gui so it will not be added to your applications menu.

5) Run
    Code:

urpmi win32-codecs

This installs the win32 codecs needed to play Windows media files (.wma and .wmv files), .avi files, .mov files, etc.

6) Run
    Code:

urpmi libdvdcss

A lot of the time people cannot get DVDs to play past the first scene. This command installs the DVD playback package that allows you to properly watch DVD movies, assuming you have a DVD drive.

7) If you want to use your media player to view REAL media, then run
    Code:

urpmi real-codecs

This installs the Real media codecs required to play REAL media. Usually they are installed to /usr/lib/real. If you want to use RealPlayer, which is still necessary for viewing embedded Real files like the ones on weather.com, then you can download the Linux version at Download Video & Media Player for Free | RealPlayer. Scroll down for instructions on installing it.

I personally use Xine player, I like its interface better than that of mplayer. If you would like to use Xine then you need to follow these steps.

1) Run
    Code:

urpmi xine-ui

This installs the graphical user interface for Xine along with the core program files. It will ask your permission to install the required packages, agree.

2) Run
    Code:

urpmi xine-win32

Thanks Bower

Linux Newbie
    try to run xine from a terminal and see if there is an error message...
    EOF

Linux Newbie

starting xine for errors

now the computer doesnt see the disk i insert. i restarted hal with no luck. zine loads fine from command line but when i click on dvd i get two error messages.

1 the source can't be read. maybe you dont have enough rights for this, or source doesnt contain data (e.g: not disc in drive). (/dev/dvd)

2nd xine engine error

there is no input plugin available to handle 'dvd:/
    maybe MRL syntax is wrong or file/stream source doesnt exist.

Just Joined!
    You should try disabling speedboot. Edit /etc/sysconfig/speedboot and change it to SPEEDBOOT=no

Also make sure you have the PLF repos setup correctly, then update your mplayer and xine to ensure are the plf version. I also recommend SMplayer as a great mplayer gui for KDE.

Linux Newbie

permission denied

Quote Originally Posted by ongte View Post
    You should try disabling speedboot. Edit /etc/sysconfig/speedboot and change it to SPEEDBOOT=no

Also make sure you have the PLF repos setup correctly, then update your mplayer and xine to ensure are the plf version. I also recommend SMplayer as a great mplayer gui for KDE.
    i go into konsole and log in as root but it still says permission denied. when i go to it in dolphin it says that it cant make a back up and it could be damaged and that i may not have permission to edit.

i do have plf media available

Bower

Linux Newbie

Solved

I redid the commands in the sticky in this forum again and rebooted again and it worked this time. thanks for all your help.

Bower