Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Something is still wonky. I found this. Based on that I would try Code: su - rm -fv /var/cache/urpmi/mirrors.cache urpmi.removemedia -a Then go to the Control Center->Software Management->Configure Media->Menu->Add specific ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Something is still wonky. I found this.

Based on that I would try

Code:
    su -
    rm -fv /var/cache/urpmi/mirrors.cache
    urpmi.removemedia -a
    Then go to the Control Center->Software Management->Configure Media->Menu->Add specific mirror

and choose one close to you.

And then retry adding the PLF repos from Easy URPMI or from the command line again.

My usually go to distro for new folks is Linux Mint. Which included flash and some non-free multimedia capabilities out of the box.

Linux User
    If you have installed task-c++-devel, you should be able to compile faad straightforwardly. As you did the first time :

./configure
    make
    make install

Are you using a 64-bit machine ? So as to know if the configure command can be optimised.

I usually never use PLF repositories, so I can't be of help for the related problems. You may try

urpmi.update -a

to update your caches.

Just Joined!
    Right, getting a bit of a headache now so I might give up after this. I tried what reed9 said, the commands seemed to work but there doesn't seem to be the option to add a specific media in the control centre so I just tried to add the full set of sources with the resulting error message (attached). PLF still had the same errors.

nmset - I downloaded faad2 from linuxfromscratch and followed their instructions and that gave a fairly negative response as well (also attached). To be honest I don't know if I'm 64bit or 32, how do I find out?

Just tried the urpmi.update command and it told me they're all up-to-date, so maybe urpmi isn't the problem.
    infact, looking at the software on my system it looks like I've got faad already. is libfaad2 the same thing? So maybe my streaming problem has more to do with something else missing.

Just a thought but on websites where there should be a video playing I just get a white triangle in a white circle in a grey rectangle, does this mean anything to you. Sorry to ramble, I've been trying to figure out my taxes all day and it hurts.
    Attached Files Attached Files

To be honest I don't know if I'm 64bit or 32, how do I find out?
    Code:
    uname -a
    32-bit machine - note the i686
    Code:
    2.6.32-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Sat Dec 26 08:26:17 UTC 2009 i686 Intel(R) Celeron(R) M processor 1400MHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
    64-bit machine. Note the x86_64
    Code:
    2.6.32-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Sat Dec 26 09:02:58 CET 2009 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E7200 @ 2.53GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
    And I totally forgot about the BBC iplayer thing. I haven't used this, but I would guess that it requires the flash plugin. Do you have that installed?

It's in the PLF repos. If they are indeed now enabled and updated, you should be able to find the package in your package manager. It's called flash-player-plugin.

Otherwise you can download it from here. Put it in your home directory and then you should be able to do

Code:
    su
    urpmi ~/flash-player-plugin-0.0.42.34-1plf2010.0.x86_64.rpm
    Actually, and I could be wrong, you might be able to install directly from the net.
    Code:
    su
    urpmi ftp://ftp.pbone.net/mirror/plf.zarb.org/plf/mandriva/2010.0/non-free/release/binary/x86_64/flash-player-plugin-10.0.42.34-1plf2010.0.x86_64.rpm

Oh, that was the 64 bit version.

32 bit is at this address
    Code:
    ftp://ftp.pbone.net/mirror/plf.zarb.org/plf/mandriva/2010.0/non-free/release/binary/i586/flash-player-plugin-10.0.42.34-1plf2010.0.i586.rpm

And I keep forgetting things. You are using 32 bit. The output you posted shows the architecture as i586, which is 32-bit.

Just Joined!
    Thanks, I got i686 so that makes me 32bit, right?
    Tried the installation from the link and got the message - "Incompatible architecture for rpm [/home/chris/flash-player-plugin-10.0.42.34-1plf2010.0.x86_64.rpm]"

from the terminal i got "unable to access rpm file [/root/flash-player-plugin-10.0.42.34-lplf2010.0.x86_64.rpm]
    error registering local packages"

Couldn't find flash in my package manager so maybe they're not updated.

Just Joined!
    just tried the 32bit link on the terminal and got "...retrieving failed: curl failed: exited with 19"

Linux User
    Don't know what libfaad2 is.

If you have /usr/lib/libfaad.so or /usr/lib64/libfaad.so or /usr/local/lib/libfaad.so or /usr/local/lib64/libfaad.so, then faad2 is installed.

In any case, your player must have been compiled for faad2 support, else you won't be able to read the stream.

Quote Originally Posted by Turphy View Post
    just tried the 32bit link on the terminal and got "...retrieving failed: curl failed: exited with 19"
    Can you post the full command you used or specifically what you did and the full error message?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast