Find the answer to your Linux question:
I don't like having to ask for help because it makes me feel like a newb. Being new to linux, I guess I am one, but I still don't like ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

WIne

I don't like having to ask for help because it makes me feel like a newb. Being new to linux, I guess I am one, but I still don't like feeling like one -.-'

I am running Mandrake 10. I tried installing the latest version of Wine so I could play some windows games. I installed Wine no problem. I ran the installer for my game. Then I went to run the game (it's a crappy game called Well of Souls, the simplest of systems can run it) and it said it was loading on the little menu bar at the bottem, but then that jsut dissapeared and nothing loaded. I tried running the Wine program manager and it just froze when I went to load the game. So I was forced to closed it. Now, when I try to open an EXE, it asks me what I wanna open it with. When I look in the More Applications part of the linux menu (I dunno what to call it, it's the equivilent to the start menu), its not there. When I try to run the Wine installers, it says its already installed.

I am not sure what to do. Any help would reeeeeally make my day,

Just Joined!
    I'm afraid that I must bump this topic, due to the fact that I have yet to recieve help.

Linux Newbie
    there are lots of things that won't run on wine you could try winex.
    Cry out for freedom! Cry out for Linux!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    What happens when you run wine from the command line? I believe wine installs to /var/wine/c/program\ files/game/ or something like that...

To run the program, wine programname

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Just Joined!

wine is ll3t, Crossover is better...

wine owns crossover at small 32 bit apps, but crossover is likely the best at running large windows apps, or pre compiled CD's like a game... I got Hitman 2 to run with crossover (3.0.1)... pie :shock:

Just Joined!
    What happens when you run wine from the command line? I believe wine installs to /var/wine/c/program\ files/game/ or something like that...
    I honestly havn't used the command line thing yet. It confuses me to look at it. I'm waiting untill I find the will to buckle down and learn all the commands.

I'll try the winex though