Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Acer Aspire 3203, Athlon II x2.215, 4Gb Ram, Nvidia GeForce G210; HD 750Gb as drive C and D with RAID fuctioning and Windows 7 preinstalled. BIOS P01- A0 The machine ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mandriva ONE 2010 fails to install; BootLogo file too big

Acer Aspire 3203, Athlon II x2.215, 4Gb Ram, Nvidia GeForce G210; HD 750Gb as drive C and D with RAID fuctioning and Windows 7 preinstalled.

BIOS P01- A0

The machine IS set to boot from CD drive first!

Yesterday I ran the Mandriva ONE 2010 Live CD on this brand new computer and EVERYTHING worked until I clicked on LIVE INSTALL.

There was no response whatsover so, I tried again and again .... still no response. In desperation I turned to a Mandriva 2010 Free DVD and booted up.
    I clicked on the first set of windows choosing default language, keyboard etc. and then waited for the process to continue.

Up came an error message saying that the BootLogo file was too large .
    As suggested I typed in the word "Linux" and the process continued until the following message appeared.

"Cannot read partition table of device mapper /pdc_ccbdaihclb"

Suggesting that I wipe the drive and thus lose all my data.

I am no lover of Microsoft but would rather keep Win7 for the moment until I am happy with Mdv 2010 on this machine.

Does anyone know of a workaround tp this problem and/or if it is being addressed in forthcoming Mdv 2010 Spring?

Thanks in advance for any information regarding this problem,

Tony Littlejohn

Hi Tony Littlejohn,

I would suggest using a partiton tool to create some free space, say 100Gb worth of space, none ntfs format, than try and re-launch mandriva live-cd, live install.

I hope this is of help.

Jnike
    Sometimes all you have to do is just wait...

Just Joined!
    Do you mean using something like Partition Magic? If so, it will have to be a Win7 application _ software which I do not wish to use in the future. Not wishing to spend money on "one time only" software I will be looking for a freeware version.

Perhaps using such software will rewrite the partitioning into one readable by Linux.

I must say that I was taken by surprise by Mandriva's inability to read the partitioning.

Balmer's revenge???

Thank you for the reply,

Tony

i imagine that what you are using is a fakeraid on a motherboard

I've never had great luck with these personally

Also, you only mention 1 HD, I surely hope this isn't true.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Littlejohn View Post
    Do you mean using something like Partition Magic? If so, it will have to be a Win7 application _ software which I do not wish to use in the future. Not wishing to spend money on "one time only" software I will be looking for a freeware version.
    Hi Tony,

I have used Fedora to repartition a system running windows vista than installed another linux distrubtion on the newly created partition. (Just remember once you have gained required space from the windows OS, log back into windows first before proceeding with your linux installation). This should be the same for windows 7.

I hope this is of help

Jnike
    Sometimes all you have to do is just wait...

Just Joined!
    I recently had a similar problem while setting up a Linux Live USB. The first one I did was flawless and it works great. The second however kept having an issue with the partitions and would not let me install anything on them. I ended up using parted, gparted and was finally able to fix the drive by using fdisk. Delete one partition at a time, write it, and then re-enter fdisk and do the next.

If you can get up and running temporarily with a live disk I would suggest using fdisk or gparted instead of shelling out the money for partition magic.

Just Joined!
    I downloaded gparted.iso and was expecting a graphical display of the current partitions but none appeared. It would be useful to have such information available when/if I start repartitioning either of the two drives.

Perhaps I will have to move to fdisk.

Tony

Just Joined!
    When I use parted it is command line, but when I use gparted it runs as a gui in X system. I am not sure where your version came from, but it doesn't sound as if it is working as intended.

you should use partedmagic livecd, it is much easier to use and contains a lot more things on it

Just Joined!
    I've never used windows 7 but in vista if you go to control panel, administrative tools, computer management then click on disk management in the left panel it will bring up a list of drives.
    right click on the c:\drive or whatever ( make sure it isn't the recovery or any external drives ) and it lets you shrink the drive, it should be the same in win 7
    All the usual caveats apply eg: backup all data, I'm not responsible if anything goes etc

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast