Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have Mandriva 2010.0, and a radeon x800 pro. I am trying to play Guild Wars through Wine, but it is very slow and choppy at best with all the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Issues with ATI

I have Mandriva 2010.0, and a radeon x800 pro. I am trying to play Guild Wars through Wine, but it is very slow and choppy at best with all the settings as low as they go, and no 3d desktop effects enabled. Before they backed out on drivers and it all went open source, I was able to play it fine (i.e. mandriva 2009.0).

Here is my xorg.conf file any suggestions? Mandriva is the only distro I can even run on my pc as all the others freeze up.

Code:
    Section "Device"
        Identifier "device1"
        VendorName "ATI Technologies Inc"
        BoardName "ATI Radeon X1950 and earlier"
        Driver "ati"
        Option "DPMS"
        Option "AccelMethod" "EXA"
        Option "MigrationHeuristic" "greedy"
        Option "AccelDFS" "true"
    EndSection

Linux User
    Did you try the fglrx driver ? I don't know if your GPU is still supported in Linux by ATI, they readily drop support for old GPUs without warning. Mandriva would offer to install the fglrx if available. Try to run the X settings wizard in MCC. Perhaps in 2009, you were using the fglrx driver which was then supported by ATI.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by nmset View Post
    Did you try the fglrx driver ? I don't know if your GPU is still supported in Linux by ATI, they readily drop support for old GPUs without warning. Mandriva would offer to install the fglrx if available. Try to run the X settings wizard in MCC. Perhaps in 2009, you were using the fglrx driver which was then supported by ATI.
    They did drop support for this and the other 2 cards I have in my other comps. 2009.1 never worked for me at all, but 2010 works. It is only open source drivers available now. I think I was running the fglrx driver in 2009. I am trying to figure out if I can get better performance out of the card with the open driver.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux User
    You can tweak usable parameters found at /sys/module/radeon/parameters for the radeon driver. Not sure all the options you have specified in xorg.conf are really taken into account. As to the meaning of these parameters and acceptable values, a search engine is your friend.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by nmset View Post
    You can tweak usable parameters found at /sys/module/radeon/parameters for the radeon driver. Not sure all the options you have specified in xorg.conf are really taken into account. As to the meaning of these parameters and acceptable values, a search engine is your friend.
    When I open that it has a file called no_wb which when opened with gedit only contains the number 0.