Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello, I hope I am posting in the right topic, if not, pardon me for the mistake. I am having problems installing Mandriva One 2010 with KDE. I've downloaded the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Smile problems installing Mandriva One 2010 with KDE

Hello,

I hope I am posting in the right topic, if not, pardon me for the mistake. I am having problems installing Mandriva One 2010 with KDE. I've downloaded the live cd file, inserted it to the cd-diver but when i click on install, it's asking me to type in a local host user name, and then the password. i have no password nor username. I tryed to type root as a user but then my brain stopped working along with the process. Can somebody be so kind to write down what to do for the continuation, or if there are any manual, write down the link to that?

I hope so I am posting at the right topic, if not, pardon me for the mistake.
    No worries, but it is best to start a new post for your problem rather than add on to an old topic. One of the mods will probably move this to its own topic.

To be clear, you go through the install, apparently successfully, and then when you reboot at the end, it boots into a console which looks like
    Code:
    localhost login:
    If that is the case, it's usually a problem with the graphics card.

You should be able to login in typing 'root', as you say you did, and just hit enter when it asks for the password.

If that works, type
    Code:
    XFdrake
    This should launch Mandriva's X server configuration tool. I'm afraid I'm not familiar enough with Mandriva to direct you in using the tool though. Hopefully it will be relatively self-explanatory.

Controlling the Graphical Configuration

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by reed9 View Post
    No worries, but it is best to start a new post for your problem rather than add on to an old topic. One of the mods will probably move this to its own topic.
    Looks like I moved it while you were typing, reed9!

Welcome to the forums, vampi!
    oz

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    reed9: i've tried out your suggestions with different settings and I had the same experience, nothing changed, except I got an error message :
    (EE) Failed to load /usr/lib/xorg/extra-modules//libglx.so
    (EE) Failed to load module "glx" (loader failed, 7)

ozar: Thank you for the welcoming.

I have a HP Elitebook 8530w.

Code:
    /sbin/lspci | grep -i vga
    Also look at the output of
    Code:
    cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep EE
    Are there other errors besides what you posted about? Can you post any line beginning (EE)?

You might want to consider just trying another distro. Sometimes where one struggles, another will shine. I recommend giving Linux Mint a go.

Just Joined!
    "/sbin/lspci | grep -i vga"

I have tried the previous code, but the answer was: no such file or directory.

The following error massages came up:

Failed to load /usr/lib/xorg/extra-modules//libglx.so
    Failed to load module "glx" (loader failed, 7)
    Failed to load /usr/lib/xorg/extra-modules//nvidia_drv.so
    Failed to load module "nvidia" (loader failed, 7)
    No devices detected.

"You might want to consider just trying another distro. Sometimes where one struggles, another will shine. I recommend giving Linux Mint a go."

I wanted to try out Madriva, but if it doesn't work out then Sabayon is my next choice. I have not heard about Linux Mint yet.

"/sbin/lspci | grep -i vga"

I have tried the previous code, but the answer was: no such file or directory.
    Please post the output of
    Code:
    which lspci
    You apparently have an nvidia card of some sort. We can take a stab at something.

Do you have an internet connection from the console there?

If so, log in as root and
    Code:
    urpmi.addmedia --distrib --mirrorlist 'http://api.mandriva.com/mirrors/basic.2010.0.i586.list'
    urpmi.addmedia --distrib --mirrorlist 'http://plf.zarb.org/mirrors/2010.0.i586.list'
    urpmi.update -a
    Then do
    Code:
    urpmi x11-driver-video-nvidia-current
    And reboot
    Code:
    reboot
    Possibly you will need to run XFdrake again if it doesn't work immediately on reboot. (Assuming it's going to work at all. )

Just Joined!
    Actually there was an lspci directory.
    user/bin/lspci

I did everything that you mentioned above, nvidia driver was installed but it was not working. I wonder if there is an installing mode with a 'brute force' method out there.

1. Insert boot disc
    2. Click on Install
    3. Done

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by vampi View Post
    Hello,

I hope I am posting in the right topic, if not, pardon me for the mistake. I am having problems installing Mandriva One 2010 with KDE. I've downloaded the live cd file, inserted it to the cd-diver but when i click on install, it's asking me to type in a local host user name, and then the password. i have no password nor username. I tryed to type root as a user but then my brain stopped working along with the process. Can somebody be so kind to write down what to do for the continuation, or if there are any manual, write down the link to that?
    I think something is wrong on how you are loading it. I noticed you said you inserted it to the cd-diver. I'm not familiar with cd-diver, but I'll take a guess that it loads cds/dvds while you are up and running. The Mandriva One Live disk is designed to be booted from, not mounted in a running installation. Once it boots up there is no login for a user or for root. On the desktop will be an icon allowing you to install Mandriva One onto a harddrive.

It can also be installed onto a USB. This is a full version that will boot when the drive is inserted and then powered up. A Mandriva One Live USB is different.

For me the solution was very easy: XFDrake->Select correct driver->test

Test tells me "the external power connector for the graphics card is not connected".

I guess I should learn to check all cables twice!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast