Find the answer to your Linux question:
Is it worth installing it? I only just got the message saying i have to download 6 GB of a new version? Does it install itsself once downloaded or will ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

2010 Mandriva Update

Is it worth installing it? I only just got the message saying i have to download 6 GB of a new version?

Does it install itsself once downloaded or will I have to go through the process of installing it from a live cd again?
    Last edited by MikeTbob; 01-24-2010 at 05:24 AM. Reason: Spelling typo in the Title

I'm not too sure because I haven't used Mandriva in a long time but I think this means you are updating the entire system to the newest version over the Internet but you shouldn't have to go through the install process again.

I do not recommend upgrading systems this way because in my opinion it leaves behind a lot of cruft and things aren't as clean as I like...instead I like to get the latest version of whatever distro, burn it to DVD/CD and perform a clean install but this is just a personal preference and you are free to do whatever you like.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

It was a bit of a nightmare last time because it was my first time installing Linux and accidently wiped my windows partition with the live CD. Maybe it will be easier this time round...

What version of linux do you use?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by dannn View Post
    It was a bit of a nightmare last time because it was my first time installing Linux and accidently wiped my windows partition with the live CD. Maybe it will be easier this time round...

What version of linux do you use?
    Is should be easier the second time you install, jusrt be sure to install onto your existing Linux partitions and not erase the Windows partition this time.
    I use an advanced version of Linux, it's called Gentoo and I do not advise newbies to use it but I also have a Linux Mint installation too, just because I like it.
    Last edited by MikeTbob; 01-24-2010 at 05:25 AM. Reason: Capitalization
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.

I don't fancy hand editing configuration files

Thanks for your help though Mike.

No problem, be sure to check out a couple of other distros too, just to broaden your horizons a little bit. Remember, you can always run LiveCD/DVD's without installing to the hard drive just to test them out.

Linux User
    I don't fancy hand editing configuration files
    You can use Mandriva Control Centre for all the system configurations, you should not have to edit files manually. Most distros have graphical tools to do this.

You are really advised to burn a DVD and install freshly. My past experience wih upgrades of Mandriva is rather bad. If you can still do it, you should reserve 3 to 4 partitions on your drive to install distros you want to test drive.

Good luck.