Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi..im new to linux..iam using compaq armada e500 laptop..I installed mandriva 2008 in my laptop. everything is workin normal..but sound is not working..plz guide me in detail THOUFEEQ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

No sound in mandriva 2008

hi..im new to linux..iam using compaq armada e500 laptop..I installed mandriva 2008 in my laptop.
    everything is workin normal..but sound is not working..plz guide me in detail

THOUFEEQ

Linux User
    There can be a lot of reasons for this, from basic lack of mixer tuning by yourself to hardware incompatibility, the latter one being more probable from an old Mandriva version running on recent hardware( I don't know if your machine is a recent one).

Have you run the sound GUI wizard from Mandriva Control Center ?
    Have you setup mixer settings ?
    Are you familiar with the command line in a terminal to debug further the problem ?
    Are you ready to switch to Mandriva 2010 ? That would be easier for most of us willing to dig in the problem deeper.

Just Joined!

no sound in mandriva 2008

Quote Originally Posted by nmset View Post
    There can be a lot of reasons for this, from basic lack of mixer tuning by yourself to hardware incompatibility, the latter one being more probable from an old Mandriva version running on recent hardware( I don't know if your machine is a recent one).

Have you run the sound GUI wizard from Mandriva Control Center ?
    Have you setup mixer settings ?
    Are you familiar with the command line in a terminal to debug further the problem ?
    Are you ready to switch to Mandriva 2010 ? That would be easier for most of us willing to dig in the problem deeper.
    Thank you for your response. Im using old machine only,its configuration is p3.my system information as follows
    K.D.E version:3.5.7
    user:asa
    host name:Local host
    system:Linux
    release:2.6.22.9-desktop586-1mdv
    machine:i686
    I didnt run or install anything u mentioned .im not familiar with commands and im new to this.
    plz guide me to solve my problem in detail.If u want any information about my system I can refer
    & tell u..
    THOUFEEQ

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux User
    Let's see if you have a mixer set rightly.

You will probably find a small speaker icon in the system tray in the lower right part of the screen. If there's not a small cross on it, then your sound module is loaded. Open the mixer by clicking on it (left or right click, follow the menu when it appears) and try to set the volume of the different channels, namely master and PCM. Of course, unmute everything.

If there is no speaker icon, press Alt+F2 together, type kmix then <ENTER>. This should start the kmix program and you could play with the mixer.
    0 + 1 = 1 != 2 <> 3 != 4 ...
    Until the camel can pass though the eye of the needle.