Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I'm a bit of a linux newbie...I had Mandrake 9.1 installed on my computer as a dual boot with Windows and I used it often for school work. When ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

upgrade from mandrake 9.1 to 10.1 ?

Hi
    I'm a bit of a linux newbie...I had Mandrake 9.1 installed on my computer as a dual boot with Windows and I used it often for school work. When I got a new wireless mouse, it no longer worked with 9.1.

So I got the mandrake 10.1 upgrade - not a clean install - on the linux partition. the problem is, i can't log in anymore???!

my old login remained - and everytime I type in my password, the screen shakes a little, and it comes up to the same screen again with the password field empty.

I asked a friend and he said that i should have added a user - which i did by going to the virtual terminal - but even that wouldn't allow me to log in.

finally, the only solution i've heard so far is to do a clean install over the old partition - something i'm very averse to doing.

are there any alternate solutions??

Linux Guru
    9.1 > 10.1 is a huge leap, much to big IMHO. Login in to safe mode and try to login as user. What happens? Can you login as root?

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Linux Newbie
    Press ctrl+alt+F1, or F2,3,4,so on.. Log in as root and type your password. All you need to do is add a user and password. type this .. adduser name .. name is what your name will be. Then type passwd name .. name again is the name you just created. Then type a password. If you do not know the root password good luck. I could do a hour walk through on that but no thanks. Reinstall in that case! NEVER forget the root password!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

added user

i tried to add a new user...i was able to do that on virtual terminal...but yet i can't log in on KDE on mandrake 10.1

i do have root password and i can even log in to virtual terminal with my old username and password - just can't do it on the GUI.

solutions??

Linux Guru
    It's sounds like you have a problem with kdm, the login manager. try using gdm instead. You can do this by logging in to the system in CLI mode (as whoever you can). /etc/init.d/gdm start should get it going. It may not be installed, in which case you can install it using urpmi gdm.

If this option doens't appeal to you, you may have some luck changing options in the kdm config file
    Jeremy

he's actually not jumping that far. i've heard you should be able to update as long as u have 8+.

and the version numbers go from 9.1 to 9.2 to 10.0 to 10.1

Just Joined!
    i tend to feel that the problem might be with the kde manager thingie....but i can't log in even in failsafe mode..

and the gdm solution...err...could you tell me how to do that?? i can't even login?? i CAN use virtual terminal fine using ctrl+alt+f1....

Linux Guru
    Once you get in to the system on command mode, issue this command to start the gdm manager.

Code:
    /etc/init.d/gdm start
    If you get an error about being root, issue this command to switch to root:

Code:
    su
    If you get an error that the command doesn't exists (as root), issue this command (as root):

Code:
    urpmi root
    Post any errors you get here

Jeremy

Just Joined!
    i tried the gdm solution....but gdm doesn't exist on my computer...hence, the urpmi didn't work either....

Linux Guru
    Okay. The gdm rpm should be on cd2 or you can get it here:

http://www.maxtux.co.uk/dist/mandrak...2/media/main2/

Install as root it with the comand

Code:
    rpm -ihv gdm-2.6.0.4-4mdk.i586.rpm
    Jeremy