Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey all, I recently purchased a 1.5TB drive and installed it into my computer (running Mandriva 2010) via the SATA connection. The hard drive appears to be recognized as it's ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Smile [SOLVED] Formatting a new hard drive

Hey all,

I recently purchased a 1.5TB drive and installed it into my computer (running Mandriva 2010) via the SATA connection. The hard drive appears to be recognized as it's located under computer as 'Mass Storage Device' and also in 'GsmartControl' (a program to check the S.M.A.R.T. status). Unfortunately being new to Linux I have no idea how to format the drive. I had thought that it would have been as simple as right-clicking on it and choosing 'Format' like in Windows, however, this doesn't appear to be the case.

I went into 'System' --> 'Administration' --> 'Configure Your Computer' --> 'Local Disks' --> 'Manage Disk Partitions' and see two tabs ("sda" and "sdb"). If I click on 'sdb' it tells me that it's a 1.3TB drive, has a long white bar at the top, and then six coloured bars underneath ('Ext3', 'XFS', 'Swap', 'Windows', 'Other', 'Empty'). All I'm wanting to do is have it as a hard drive that I can store photos and documents on. Could someone please tell me how to do this as it's really confusing me? I don't want Windows or anything like that, just a giant backup disk.

A MASSIVE thanks in advance.
    Stu

Just Joined!
    try this as root
    Code:
    $ urpmi gparted
    If rpm has the package available, then enter (again as root)
    Code:
    $ gparted
    Hopefully that looks a bit more friendly to you.

switch to root user (using su - command) and post the output of
    fdisk -l

I went into 'System' --> 'Administration' --> 'Configure Your Computer' --> 'Local Disks' --> 'Manage Disk Partitions' and see two tabs ("sda" and "sdb"). If I click on 'sdb' it tells me that it's a 1.3TB drive, has a long white bar at the top, and then six coloured bars underneath ('Ext3', 'XFS', 'Swap', 'Windows', 'Other', 'Empty').
    Does right-click , something show you format option?
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

yes,NemVitzh is correct , try installing gparted and then format the "correct " drive
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

Just Joined!
    There is no need to use any commands or gparted. As you've already found, Mandriva already comes with one of the best partitioning tools available.

Using it very simple. The long white bar represents the empty space on your hard drive. Click on it & on the right, there should be an option to Create a partition.
    Use all the space available for your partition,
    Use ext4 for the filesystem
    Choose a mount point for it, such as /mnt/storage.
    Now Format the partition & Mount it.
    Click on Done to exit & save the changes.

Your partition should now be accessible from the location /mnt/storage. If you are the only user & you want your user to have full access to this partition you'll need to run chown on it.

You can also create a symlink from your home directory to this location to make it easier to access.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by stuartguthrie View Post
    Unfortunately being new to Linux I have no idea how to format the drive.
    I use gparted as recommended above but use it from the Parted Magic LiveCD for all my own partitioning. It's very easy to use and the disk has lots of other great utilities that are really handy to have around. Oh, and it's a free download.
    oz

Just Joined!
    You guys are legends!!! Thank you VERY much!!! Everything is up and running now.

Have a great weekend and thanks again.

Stu