Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am new to mandriva and want to find out if it is legal to download WIN32 Codecs and other software using the plf ? Basically are all packages that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation PLF packages

I am new to mandriva and want to find out if it is legal to download WIN32 Codecs and other software using the plf ? Basically are all packages that are distributed by plf legal?

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

It depends on the laws of the country that you live in as to whether or not it is legal or illegal to download and install some of the software that you might find there.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Thank you, nice to see friendly people. I am in UK. Is there a list of available/illegal software for UK? Basically I am interested in Win32 codec and libdvdcss, are they legal for UK ?

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Desu View Post
    Thank you, nice to see friendly people. I am in UK. Is there a list of available/illegal software for UK? Basically I am interested in Win32 codec and libdvdcss, are they legal for UK ?
    There are lots of varied opinions about what is legal and what is not, but the only way to know with absolute certainty would be to consult with a lawyer that specializes in that field. Even then a court could rule that the lawyer was wrong with the advise that he/she gave.

I'm not familiar with any listing of files or packages that are legal or illegal there, but you can use any file or software as long as you don't violate any copyrights or license agreements that go along with that particular file, or software.
    oz